Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Replacement RAF AWACS

All those places are well within the Global Eye range considerations and even better than the E7 range...

On that basis, we wouldn’t be interested in it either.

Instead, I assume that Qatar wanted the additional C2 capacity offered by the E-7 within a coalition context.

...If the RAF buy E7, will they want a probe on it?

I very much doubt it due to the certification implications.

Regards,
MM

Instead, I assume that Qatar wanted the additional C2 capacity offered by the E-7 within a coalition context.

Regards,
MM

Would the UK look to develop the E7 as a C3int/C4 platform given is size?

Regards,
MM

Will that also apply to fitting of a galley and loo with washing facilities?

Command Control Communications (intelligence) or Command Control Communications and Compiting

I’m aware what the acronyms mean but we’re talking semantics; communications and computers are inherent in a C2 role and asset. Therefore, what capabilities are you talking about?

Will that also apply to fitting of a galley and loo with washing facilities?

All discussed earlier in the thread: the E-7 has a galley and toilet with sink.

Regards,
MM

I’m aware what the acronyms mean but we’re talking semantics; communications and computers are inherent in a C2 role and asset. Therefore, what capabilities are you talking about?

All discussed earlier in the thread: the E-7 has a galley and toilet with sink.

Regards,
MM

Does orwill the E7 have the capabilites akin tothe Nimrod?

Does orwill the E7 have the capabilites akin tothe Nimrod?

Sorry, you’ve lost me entirely now.

Most AEW platforms have a maritime surveillance capability; the E-7’s Northrop-Grumman Multi-mode Electronically Scanned Array (MESA) radar is no different.

I can’t think what other MR2 capabilities we’d need on E-7.

Regards,
MM

Having skipped several pages, apologies if previously mentioned, funding could come from stopping sending money to Swiss Banks via certain never to be developed countries.

Magic Mushroom,

You say that: "the E-7 is the ONLY available option which meets requirements now for a wide area C2 asset while producing accurate air, maritime and EW situational awareness."

You say that the Israeli G550 offering "lacks the C2 capacity we require."

Presumably this is down to crew numbers, and presumably you'd make the same criticism of Saab's Globaleye?

Is this the reason why Saab "bizarrely" chose to offer the Erieye ER on an A330 platform? I was astonished that they didn't offer the GlobalEye - which is certified, flying and can be demonstrated, and for which they have a hot production line?

The GlobalEye would seem to be less of a 'risk' than an as-yet untried and unproven Wedgetail upgrade, surely? And would offer a ground surveillance and GMTI capability far above anything the Wedgetail offers.......

Don't you think that properly analysing and evaluating the alternatives would have been sensible, rather than going single-source?

Magic Mushroom,

You say that: "the E-7 is the ONLY available option which meets requirements now for a wide area C2 asset while producing accurate air, maritime and EW situational awareness."

You say that the Israeli G550 offering "lacks the C2 capacity we require."

Presumably this is down to crew numbers, and presumably you'd make the same criticism of Saab's Globaleye?

Is this the reason why Saab "bizarrely" chose to offer the Erieye ER on an A330 platform? I was astonished that they didn't offer the GlobalEye - which is certified, flying and can be demonstrated, and for which they have a hot production line?

The GlobalEye would seem to be less of a 'risk' than an as-yet untried and unproven Wedgetail upgrade, surely? And would offer a ground surveillance and GMTI capability far above anything the Wedgetail offers.......

Don't you think that properly analysing and evaluating the alternatives would have been sensible, rather than going single-source?

With respect, your post displays a number of very flawed assumptions.

Chief amongst these is the implication that really rather well qualified RAF AWACS chaps have never flown on a variety of Erieye, Elta or other relevant platforms; or that we’ve not flown on and integrated with such alternatives on operations; or do not have a thorough understanding of exactly what benefits and risks are offered by each of the principal types in this debate.

Therefore, like the P-8 ‘single-source’ decision, I would argue that a detailed analysis and evaluation of the alternatives has taken place. The only thing a formal competition will do is add cost, add technical and operational risk, and result in yet another capability gap in an area we simply cannot afford.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Saab have confirmed that they want to mount their Erieye on in service Voyagers!

From my perspective as an experienced AWACS operator, Voyager is entirely unsuited to the role, particularly as it lacks an AAR receive capability which is so often employed on ops. However, it's also way larger and heavier than we need, thereby increasing operating costs and reducing deployment options.

While it's suggested that using Voyagers would avoid the cost of procuring a new type, Saab does not mention that the UK would have to bear all development, integration and certification cost and risk for a capability that is demonstrably inferior to other options on the table and for which I cannot envisage anyone else investing.

Despite these facts, I have a horrible feeling of déjà vu from Nimrod AEW3, Nimrod MRA4 and RJ, whereby significant but entirely avoidable cost and delays were added before the decision that the RAF recommended in some cases over a decade previously was adopted.

Finally, the article mentions that Elta are persisting with a G550 based Conformal AEW (CAEW) solution which in my view does not offer sufficient C2 capacity.

Regards,
MM