Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Replacement RAF AWACS

I'm sure the RAF will be delighted with their brand new and state of the art Wedgetails.

The Aussie AP3C in my opinion was a little like the UK Typhoon, pushing the limits of the platform.

In GW2, or Afghanistan, I forget, but as far as I remember, the Aussie AP3C was in demand by the allies for its overland surveillance, there were a number of upgrades to the aircraft that turned it from a maritime aircraft to a reconnaissance aircraft.

In relation to this thread, if the same approach to AEW with Wedgetail, the Aussies will have a nice upgrade route which we would do well to buy into?

As noted previously by others, the E-7 makes perfect sense. We've bought the P-8 and will be looking to take advantage of the economies of scale there.

The E-7 is a proven system in service, or about to enter service, with several countries and it fits what we need it to do, unlike other proposals either existing or mooted. It would also allow us to take advantages of the P-8/B-737 logistics chain.

Sometimes, a competition isn't the best thing.

The Aussie AP3C in my opinion was a little like the UK Typhoon, pushing the limits of the platform.

In GW2, or Afghanistan, I forget, but as far as I remember, the Aussie AP3C was in demand by the allies for its overland surveillance, there were a number of upgrades to the aircraft that turned it from a maritime aircraft to a reconnaissance aircraft.

In relation to this thread, if the same approach to AEW with Wedgetail, the Aussies will have a nice upgrade route which we would do well to buy into?

Yes, the RAAF have an upgrade path that focuses on interoperability with the F-35 and a electronic surveillance role. The E-7 ticks all the RAFs boxes.

It looks like one might be on a test drive at RAF Waddington.
Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 09.54.13.png