Replacement AWACS

My personal opinion for what it's worth (and I have no basis in fact for saying this apart from a knowledge of MOD procurement procedure) is that I think that MOD will take a wait and see approach...
Unless you’rewilling To lose the capability, we can’t.

...Wait and see what the Americans are doing with their E-3 fleet and then piggy-back on that...
The USAF are in the process of completing a comprehensive upgrade of their AWACS to E-3G standard with further developments from that new baseline planned; we’ve missed that boat entirely so it’s not an option.

Regards,
MM

Safe to say that the interiors of that G550 won't be anything like this?

1) That looks 5 star.
2) It's the RAF we're talking about.
3) Therefore we'll be buying a good dozen or more.
4) There might be room to fit a couple of pairs of binoculars for the crew to use to detect other aircraft.
5) Each pair of binoculars costing £10,000,000. Obviously...

Errm, Nimrod MR4? Nothing would surprise me...
Somewhat different circumstances. The point is, we ‘can’t wait and see’ to join a future USAF upgrade to their E-3Gs as those are now effectively an entirely different aircraft type to our own E-3Ds; different cockpit, different mission systems, different internal configuration, different IFF, different ESM, different power generation and different wiring.

Regards,
MM

we’ve missed that boat entirely so it’s not an option.
It's not that we've missed the boat, more that the ship's been stricken from the register of naval vessels, towed out to sea and then been turned into a reef courtesy of a SINKEX...

...by Tornado GR1Bs using Sea Eagle, and a Trafalgar class SSN. So just a tad behind the curve...

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Unless you’rewilling To lose the capability, we can’t.

The USAF are in the process of completing a comprehensive upgrade of their AWACS to E-3G standard with further developments from that new baseline planned; we’ve missed that boat entirely so it’s not an option.

Regards,
MM
Ah. I didn't know about that.

But more importantly, does it have a sink?
Theres galley in the middle, the 6 operators sit behind it. The forward section houses most of the funky stuff.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
A fiver on it being the E-7.
The Times is having a whinge about MOD going for E-7 without an open competition - apparently picking "it works, we need it quickly, let's just get on with it" is a bad thing when it jeopardises the opportunity for a few more years of indecision, delay, lawfare and failure...

If there were two good MOTS contenders then go for a flyoff, if we hadn't dug ourselves such a deep hole we could have looked at Airbus/Saab in slower time... but as @Magic_Mushroom points out, we've got ourselves into this mess and Wedgetail looks like the only solution available in time.

The Times is having a whinge about MOD going for E-7 without an open competition - apparently picking "it works, we need it quickly, let's just get on with it" is a bad thing when it jeopardises the opportunity for a few more years of indecision, delay, lawfare and failure...

If there were two good MOTS contenders then go for a flyoff, if we hadn't dug ourselves such a deep hole we could have looked at Airbus/Saab in slower time... but as @Magic_Mushroom points out, we've got ourselves into this mess and Wedgetail looks like the only solution available in time.
This is true, but as in the link I posted, Boeing are investing in the UK (look at the Apache and Poseidon deals) which means that jobs and dare I say it, an Aviation industry and capability is being kept alive in the UK. Post BREXIT, surely this is important?

Ultimately though, it's about capability, and if Wedgetail provides that in the timeframe required then so be it. It's like wanting to go to the Moon then complaining that the Saturn V is the only rocket that's proven.