Replacement AWACS

We have RAF aircrew flying RAAF FA-18Fs and FA-18Cs but it doesn't mean we'll be buying those.

Regards,
MM
F/A-18A not C. Although effectively upgraded to the latter standard (APG65 to 67, L16, AMRAAM-capable), they are now pretty tired 1980s airframes.

Last edited:
We have RAF aircrew flying RAAF FA-18Fs and FA-18Cs but it doesn't mean we'll be buying those.

Regards,
MM

Did the RAAF fly over F-18's to the UK so the RAF could spend the day kicking their tyres over the training area?
You will be getting Wedgetails, the other options are either unaffordable, E-3 upgrade, or 2nd rate, the bizjet conversions.

F/A-18A not C. Although effectively upgraded to the latter standard (APG65 to 67, L16, AMRAAM-capable), they are now pretty tired 1980s airframes.
You're quite correct and my bad; they are indeed FA-18A/B+. As you say that effectively makes them C models (although they have APG-73 radars rather than the 67) with ASRAAM.

Did the RAAF fly over F-18's to the UK so the RAF could spend the day kicking their tyres over the training area?
You will be getting Wedgetails, the other options are either unaffordable, E-3 upgrade, or 2nd rate, the bizjet conversions.
I don't normally do ad hominem, however, just for you @sunnoficarus/@SOI/@meerkatz/@PhotEx:

Please be quiet you idiot.

And, for the third time now I believe, why do you feel the need to constantly change your log-on name?

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
The RAAF turning up with Hornets Super or not-so-Super would have nothing to do with an American built platform being sold to the RAF.

There are all sorts of other ways - Chiefs' Conference pre-RIAT or the CAS Air power conference (both of which are attended by the RAAF top brass whether or not RAAF airframes appear at airshows that year), for example, where the RAAF leadership could lobby (if, for some reason they chose to) the RAF SLT about the E-7.

I suspect that the E-7 is by far and away the front runner at the moment, but to state that the RAAF sent the aircraft over to support the purchase of the E-7 misses the point (they came over, in addition to the usual Chief's visit because the air force from which the RAAF derives (with four Australian Flying Corps squadrons making up part of the RFC orbat just prior to 1 April 1918 ) had an important birthday; the same 'support the birthday party' reason an RNZAF 757 appeared at Cosford and RIAT. I imagine that when the RAAF formal centenary occurs, some Typhoons/F-35, etc will go down under for the fun.

I don't normally do ad hominem, however, just for you @sunnoficarus/@SOI/@meerkatz/@PhotEx:

Please be quiet you idiot.

And, for the third time now I believe, why do you feel the need to constantly change your log-on name?

Regards,
MM
Because as “some random bloke we’ve never heard of” he has far more of a reputation than “another Meerkatz account”.

As Putin has being getting chunky for years now, and we still have a working AWACS, is there any danger of a replacement to the long defunct ASW Nimrod's?

As Putin has being getting chunky for years now, and we still have a working AWACS, is there any danger of a replacement to the long defunct ASW Nimrod's?
9 x P-8 were ordered 3 years ago and the first one will be delivered to the UK late next year.

Regards,
MM

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
You mean the nine P-8 Poseidons we're getting, whose crews have been clocking up experience under Project SEEDCORN?

Testing times - RAF personnel in team effort to prepare P-8A Poseidon for UK service. | RAF Live

Much as it pains me to ever be nice about the Polyester Patrol, they put a lot of time, effort and money into managing the gap created by Nimrod MRA.4's failure.

edited... and of course @Magic_Mushroom beat me to the punch :mad:

You mean the nine P-8 Poseidons we're getting, whose crews have been clocking up experience under Project SEEDCORN?

Testing times - RAF personnel in team effort to prepare P-8A Poseidon for UK service. | RAF Live

Much as it pains me to ever be nice about the Polyester Patrol, they put a lot of time, effort and money into managing the gap created by Nimrod MRA.4's failure.

edited... and of course @Magic_Mushroom beat me to the punch :mad:

Come on! We even beat the Americans crewing one of the USN airframes at ASW.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Bone comment of the day award goes to.......

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Is there no end to your experience, knowledge and brilliance. How you remain a D band clip art CS is beyond me. Does NCHQ know it has such a defence expert working in its building?

How about you pop along and get the wets on and let the grown ups do the talking.

Bone comment of the day award goes to.......
The squiggly bit above a dot at the end means it was not a comment, but thank you for playing.

in the Fairford/Farnborough period there was a lot of gossip that the MOD was on the cusp of announcing an E-7 buy - no competition, just a decision and a single source supplier - and that this would be done before the end of July.

does anyone have any insight/gossip as to why this didn't happen - was it bollocks to start with, did someone get the wrong end of the stick and run with it, or did something happen to derail the announcement/buy?

(i know that some on the HOC Defence committee got abit sweaty about not being consulted, but the MOD ignores what they say most of the time anyway, so i'm not convinced that was the reason..).

in the Fairford/Farnborough period there was a lot of gossip that the MOD was on the cusp of announcing an E-7 buy - no competition, just a decision and a single source supplier - and that this would be done before the end of July.

does anyone have any insight/gossip as to why this didn't happen - was it bollocks to start with, did someone get the wrong end of the stick and run with it, or did something happen to derail the announcement/buy?

(i know that some on the HOC Defence committee got abit sweaty about not being consulted, but the MOD ignores what they say most of the time anyway, so i'm not convinced that was the reason..).
They wanted to make sure the E-7 had a sink in it. They got screwed out of it on the E-8. This is gen intel