repellants

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Grumblegrunt, Aug 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

my missus has just come back from a month in madagascar complaining that deet was next to useless and they bit you first like the old army stuff.

she commented that someone mentioned something that avon make which although not a repellant the army are apparently using as its side effect is it is good at repelling little biters.

anyone know what it is?

and apparently when she rang the doctor and explained her recent holiday bowel history she was told to quarantine herself incase it was cholera - made my week that did, finally get some boobs to play with again and they are off limits.

2. Avon skin so soft.

3. As Jarrod says, Avon skin so soft as used by THEM.

$T2eC16JHJGoE9nuQeV2lBQC93f3cKg~~60_35.JPG

I tend to have a teaspoon of marmite everyday a week before going away and everyday while there to help stop the little blighters too.

4. Gen dit. It is widely used in the West of Scotland to guard against midges.

5. Marmite or brewers yeast tablets does nothing for me. I get betamethasone cream as it's the only thing settles my bites down. I'll post a picture later if I can find one. First I have to sterilise my swiss army knife, make a hole, drain them, put iodine on, dress them and take Fluclox.
    The DEET 50% or 95% doesn't stop me from being bitten either, neither does Avon products.

6. I don't think any product stops the little bugger biting altogether.
    Using a combination of things to keep bites to a minimum is the best you can hope for.

7. Is your lass not repellant enough?

8. Thought Avon had, for some reason taken that active ingredient out of SSS, a new one on the market is 'Smidge that Midge' it works for me when in Aviemore and points West, Otterburn too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I don't think there ever was an active ingredient.

10. ImageUploadedByARRSE1376483520.363293.jpg
    ImageUploadedByARRSE1376483549.365830.jpg
    Sweet aren't they?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

11. The most reliable midge repellant I know is ten degrees of frost...now if we can only bottle that and ship it to madagascar...oh wait....no, Anglia university and the climate police will be on my case now!

12. Another vote for SMIDGE - I bought us a spray can each and after a couple of weeks along the west coast, not a single midge bite.

About Smidge | Midge Forecast

• Like Like x 1
  13. A better alternative is the east coast.

14. Smear some of my blood over you. The little ******* never want to chomp on me for some reason.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)