Repeal UK handgun ban?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by IndependentBoffin, May 22, 2012.

?
  1. Yes

100 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    19.4%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Indian women turn to firearms against threat of violence

Indian women turn to firearms against threat of violence | World news | guardian.co.uk

Why not in the UK? Should the handgun ban be repealed and licensed ownership of handguns permitted?

Having been the victim of a robbery, assault and road rage in three different countries, I can attest to the fact that the police are useless in these instances. It is simply a matter of them not being there when the crime happens and when they do come, the deed is fait accompli and it is usually your word against the criminal's (if they catch him).

2. Pointless poll, it'll never happen. Petrol prices never go back down once they go up and the UK government will never give back something it has already taken away. Besides handguns are evil and we'd all be out slaughtering schoolkids.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TBH, some bloody deserve it!

• Like Like x 3
  4. I've long approved of repealing the handgun ban. Entirely separately from the issue of home defence - which is something a bit too dangerous to base an argument on, given valid questions of competence of the wielder -it remains the case that there is absolutely no correlation between the introduction of the handgun ban and a reduction of crime - gun crime actually rose every year for eight years following it. If it serves no purpose, why persist with it? It needlessly demonised harmless sportsmen. The only lasting objection seems to come from the more infantile sort of lefty terrified that he might catch The Redneck off those horrid smelly Americans, and that sort of bleating we can tune out.

Fun Fact for Fact Fans: Handgun ownership remains legal in Northern Ireland. In 2011, despite the legacy of decades of sectarian violence, the murder rate in the province was lower than that of Scotland.

• Like Like x 1
  5. What's the point? It's not going to happen.

6. With all due respect, it won't happen if attitudes like this persist. Where there is a will, there is a way.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Never going to happen,because the powers that be,along with organisations with a vested interest in banning firearms of all kinds,fail to grasp one simple fact,firearms are inanimate objects,it's the twat on the blunt end that causes the problem.

Why not ban crossbows,longbows,cricket bats,tennis racquets,even croquet mallets,these are all as deadly as a firearm in the wrong hands,and are classed as okay by the fuckwits that impose ever more draconion measures,on responsible shooters? :shock:

8. Indeed.

BBC News | UK | Handgun crime 'up' despite ban

9. And the sporting uses of a handgun are what exactly?

You can bugger about with them in the same way you can race lawn mowers, but handguns are designed purely and simply to kill people at close range.

Shotguns, deer rifles, .22 vermin control etc are a different matter but hand guns? Sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yes but sometimes there is a legitimate need to kill someone at close range in self-defence.

If your wife was under threat of rape would you say she had legitimate cause to use lethal force to defend herself?

11. Hang on. You think that both of you being armed will help matters when dealing with cases of road rage? Where the other party's word is as good as yours?

12. With all due respect, in a country where I can be jailed for 6 months for having a gerber multitool on my belt "without a good reason" it's not going to happen.

Successive governments who have pandered to the idiot majority with no application of common sense to win votes have assured that. FWIW I have no problem with firearms or blades of any description.

• Like Like x 1
  13. All those who want handguns get handguns and the police are pretty shit about doing anything about it.

So basically the only people who are affected by the law are those who don't want a handgun. Which means the law is fairly obsolete anyway.

14. Yep, imagine the ******* carnage that Anders Breveik could have caused had he been armed with a croquet mallet rather than an AR-15 and a Glock.

• Like Like x 2
  15. My pessimism comes from the fact that having been living here in the U.K. for over a year something now, my view is nothing gets un-banned, especially stuff which your gov't considers "dangerous." And people seem to just shrug and get on with the program.

I am not a mad NRA member who wants everyone to be armed to the teeth, but even basic defensive stuff seems to be on the banned list here. Getting mugged, your home being robbed? Please call the police and wait for them. Even the whole attitude to basic self defense stinks here.

At the end of the day, did the gun crime actually come down after the ban? No, it gives criminals one less thing to worry about - the baddies still have the guns and all it achieved was turning people into sheeple.

I could be wrong (prolly am), but these are my personal views anyway.