Repeal UK handgun ban?

Should the UK handgun ban be lifted?

• Yes

Votes: 100 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 19.4%

• Total voters
Indian women turn to firearms against threat of violence

Indian women turn to firearms against threat of violence | World news | guardian.co.uk

"Why should I be dependent on someone else, even my husband or the police, for my own safety? I should be independent"
Why not in the UK? Should the handgun ban be repealed and licensed ownership of handguns permitted?

Having been the victim of a robbery, assault and road rage in three different countries, I can attest to the fact that the police are useless in these instances. It is simply a matter of them not being there when the crime happens and when they do come, the deed is fait accompli and it is usually your word against the criminal's (if they catch him).

Indian women turn to firearms against threat of violence | World news | guardian.co.uk

Why not in the UK? Should the handgun ban be repealed and licensed ownership of handguns permitted?

Having been the victim of a robbery, assault and road rage in three different countries, I can attest to the fact that the police are useless in these instances. It is simply a matter of them not being there when the crime happens and when they do come, the deed is fait accompli and it is usually your word against the criminal's (if they catch him).
Pointless poll, it'll never happen. Petrol prices never go back down once they go up and the UK government will never give back something it has already taken away. Besides handguns are evil and we'd all be out slaughtering schoolkids.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Pointless poll, it'll never happen. Petrol prices never go back down once they go up and the UK government will never give back something it has already taken away. Besides handguns are evil and we'd all be out slaughtering schoolkids.
TBH, some bloody deserve it!

I've long approved of repealing the handgun ban. Entirely separately from the issue of home defence - which is something a bit too dangerous to base an argument on, given valid questions of competence of the wielder -it remains the case that there is absolutely no correlation between the introduction of the handgun ban and a reduction of crime - gun crime actually rose every year for eight years following it. If it serves no purpose, why persist with it? It needlessly demonised harmless sportsmen. The only lasting objection seems to come from the more infantile sort of lefty terrified that he might catch The Redneck off those horrid smelly Americans, and that sort of bleating we can tune out.

Fun Fact for Fact Fans: Handgun ownership remains legal in Northern Ireland. In 2011, despite the legacy of decades of sectarian violence, the murder rate in the province was lower than that of Scotland.

Never going to happen,because the powers that be,along with organisations with a vested interest in banning firearms of all kinds,fail to grasp one simple fact,firearms are inanimate objects,it's the twat on the blunt end that causes the problem.

Why not ban crossbows,longbows,cricket bats,tennis racquets,even croquet mallets,these are all as deadly as a firearm in the wrong hands,and are classed as okay by the fuckwits that impose ever more draconion measures,on responsible shooters? :shock:

I've long approved of repealing the handgun ban. Entirely separately from the issue of home defence - which is something a bit too dangerous to base an argument on, given valid questions of competence of the wielder -it remains the case that there is absolutely no correlation between the introduction of the handgun ban and a reduction of crime - gun crime actually rose every year for eight years following it. If it serves no purpose, why persist with it? It needlessly demonised harmless sportsmen. The only lasting objection seems to come from the more infantile sort of lefty terrified that he might catch The Redneck off those horrid smelly Americans, and that sort of bleating we can tune out.

Fun Fact for Fact Fans: Handgun ownership remains legal in Northern Ireland. In 2011, despite the legacy of decades of sectarian violence, the murder rate in the province was lower than that of Scotland.
Indeed.

BBC News | UK | Handgun crime 'up' despite ban

A new study suggests the use of handguns in crime rose by 40% in the two years after the weapons were banned.

It needlessly demonised harmless sportsmen.
And the sporting uses of a handgun are what exactly?

You can bugger about with them in the same way you can race lawn mowers, but handguns are designed purely and simply to kill people at close range.

Shotguns, deer rifles, .22 vermin control etc are a different matter but hand guns? Sorry.

You can bugger about with them in the same way you can race lawn mowers, but handguns are designed purely and simply to kill people at close range.
Yes but sometimes there is a legitimate need to kill someone at close range in self-defence.

If your wife was under threat of rape would you say she had legitimate cause to use lethal force to defend herself?

Hang on. You think that both of you being armed will help matters when dealing with cases of road rage? Where the other party's word is as good as yours?

With all due respect, it won't happen if attitudes like this persist. Where there is a will, there is a way.
With all due respect, in a country where I can be jailed for 6 months for having a gerber multitool on my belt "without a good reason" it's not going to happen.

Successive governments who have pandered to the idiot majority with no application of common sense to win votes have assured that. FWIW I have no problem with firearms or blades of any description.

All those who want handguns get handguns and the police are pretty shit about doing anything about it.

So basically the only people who are affected by the law are those who don't want a handgun. Which means the law is fairly obsolete anyway.

Never going to happen,because the powers that be,along with organisations with a vested interest in banning firearms of all kinds,fail to grasp one simple fact,firearms are inanimate objects,it's the twat on the blunt end that causes the problem.

Why not ban crossbows,longbows,cricket bats,tennis racquets,even croquet mallets,these are all as deadly as a firearm in the wrong hands,and are classed as okay by the fuckwits that impose ever more draconion measures,on responsible shooters? :shock:
Yep, imagine the ******* carnage that Anders Breveik could have caused had he been armed with a croquet mallet rather than an AR-15 and a Glock.

With all due respect, it won't happen if attitudes like this persist. Where there is a will, there is a way.
My pessimism comes from the fact that having been living here in the U.K. for over a year something now, my view is nothing gets un-banned, especially stuff which your gov't considers "dangerous." And people seem to just shrug and get on with the program.

I am not a mad NRA member who wants everyone to be armed to the teeth, but even basic defensive stuff seems to be on the banned list here. Getting mugged, your home being robbed? Please call the police and wait for them. Even the whole attitude to basic self defense stinks here.

At the end of the day, did the gun crime actually come down after the ban? No, it gives criminals one less thing to worry about - the baddies still have the guns and all it achieved was turning people into sheeple.

I could be wrong (prolly am), but these are my personal views anyway.

Hang on. You think that both of you being armed will help matters when dealing with cases of road rage? Where the other party's word is as good as yours?
1) If background checks are done as part of the handgun licensing process then people with violent criminal histories can be excluded. Not saying I know about the road rager's criminal record but it is safe to say if he gets angry enough to rage at someone overtaking him on a single carriageway he probably has a violent criminal record.

2) He might have had a gun anyway if he was a criminal. As a law abiding citizen the only gun I could legally have would have been a rifle with separate ammo in the boot - hardly satisfactory in a road rage situation compared to a pistol in the glovebox. If the law were repealed the worse case scenario is that we are equal. If the law were not repealed the worse case scenario is that we are unequal, in the crim's favour.

3) As the person quoted in the Grunaid's article so succinctly put it: "Why should I be dependent on someone else or the police, for my own safety? I should be independent."

With all due respect, in a country where I can be jailed for 6 months for having a gerber multitool on my belt "without a good reason" it's not going to happen.

Successive governments who have pandered to the idiot majority with no application of common sense to win votes have assured that. FWIW I have no problem with firearms or blades of any description.
Yeah the Offensive Weapons Act will have to go too, if we repeal the gun ban.

My brother went home one night to find 3 burglars in his digs. The first he knew that they were burglars and not his landlord was when he met on of them halfway up the stairs as he turned the corner. The burglar was walking downstairs.

The net result was that my brother hearing the voices of others as well as the guy he met on the stairs decided that he was outnumbered and turned tail and ran out of the house. The burglars jumped out of a back window and ran away across the gardens. Fortunately because my brother had come in and interrupted them, all the stuff that they were going to nick was still laid out on the bed. Laptop, camera and that kind of stuff etc.

He stopped at my place that night and the following day on the way home, he popped into Tesco's to get a few bits. As he turned the corner of the counter, he walked into the guy he had met the previous night on the stairs.

The Police were summoned and the guy was arrested and taken into custody. The guy, he was a youngster in his mid teens, and his family swore that he had been at home all evening.

The Police said it was my brothers word against his and they were not going to take any action. Six months almost to the day later, they came back and robbed everything!

I wanted to go and nail the little bastard to a tree. My brother just said what's the point? In hindsight, I agree with him.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes but sometimes there is a legitimate need to kill someone at close range in self-defence.

If your wife was under threat of rape would you say she had legitimate cause to use lethal force to defend herself?
Justified, yes. Legally entitled? No as her life is not under threat as such, unless a lethal weapon is used. Similarly, the events that happened to you would not justify the use of a handgun.

Which is fair enough, really. I use all sorts of knives and sharp impliments all the time, but I don't take any of them to the pub with me - and nor should I be allowed to.