Repatriation - Oxfordshire - info?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Tuna_Head, Nov 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was driving along the A420 today past Shrivenham where I work towards Oxford. I noticed a quiet gang of Royal Marines smartly dressed and a contingent of the RBL with flags at the Shriv roundabout, an old man in a layby with a green beret about 3 miles further on, and a very smart veteran in blazer medals and green beret stood smartly at the layby up by Kingston Bagpuize. No doubt waiting to pay respects to the two Royal Marines killed in Afghanistan last week, being repatriated and taken to the coroner in Oxford from Lyneham. RIP. No fuss, nothing over the top. Moving. But I'd like to be present, when possible, with my sons and with my work colleagues at a future repatriations. Is there any public source of info regarding dates and schedules perhaps a day in advance of repatriation?

I'm aware of the Canadian version .... youtube link to follow, and think that on a personal level I should do something out of respect. grateful for advice on a source of information.
  2. Maybe talk to the RBL.Going by what you say,they seem to have some knowledge of timings/dates.
  3. Tuna_Head,

I also saw these chaps today and it brought a lump to my throat along with a feeling of guilt that I hadn't stopped to join them. It wasn't until I passed the third group that my tiny mind realised what they were up to. I can only hope that it brought some comfort to the families. I think that it would be a great idea for these to be published and perhaps we'd see some serving bods not on essential duties showing their respects too.

4. Repatriations are done by word of mouth. There is a person who rings 5 people, who ring another 5 etc. Actually its more like 60 if Im honest. If you would like to be notified then please PM me and I will put you in touch with a blokey who knows. :wink:
  5. Nice one.The Power of Arrse strikes again.
  6. PM sent. Thank you.