Repatriation of war dead

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by General Melchett, Jul 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

A close friend of mine was killed in Iraq in 2003.

I was watching some footage of his repatriation and it struck me that at the time it was a big thing. Live coverage on Sky, solemn commentry, band playing appropriate music etc. It also seemed to be top news on the news.

So four years down the line does it still happen with so much pomp? News coverage now seems to be very brief as if an after thought.
  2. Yes, but the media don't give a fcuk.
  3. A sad but true statement.

To the Government it's something they'd rather not have shown.
  4. I'm not so sure it's because the general public don't care, because in conversations I've had with workmates it's obvious that they do care, it's just that unless you have a loved-one in the Armed Forces, the lives and deaths of soldiers, sailors and airmen are going to be way down the list of "things to make waves about".
  5. Go back a few years, close ups of the bearers, the band, the GSM saluting as the coffin came down the ramp.

Now, you're lucky if you get a 20 second mention on the main news.

The full repatriation ceremonies still take place, the media just aren't that interested anymore....... and I dare say the same is true for the vast majority of the public.
  6. Go back to Northern Ireland and you would be lucky if something as mundane as the murder of a soldier was even newsworthy, not to mention their repatriation and burial.
  7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

That's a very fair point
    However nowadays unfortunately it takes something 'special' to make the news such as the young female medic who was killed in Basra
    I'm afraid the media see everything else as very run off the mill
  8. To be fair the published eulogys that follow every death at present are bringing the human factor of these deaths to the general public, or at least those who pick up a paper or watch the news. What I feel is worrying is that those same people can not draw a line of connection between battles in far off lands, terrorist attacks in the UK and themselves. As far as the majority are concerned real life is just another reality TV show until it comes along and smacks them in the face.
  9. There are so many horrors shown on the news on a daily basis, that I think the media thinks we will not by moved by the tragedy of every death of a serviceman. They are wrong.
  10. I really don't think we should care too much about how the meeja portray the homecoming of our dead. 'Newsworthiness' seems to cover so many different and irrelevant stories these days that I do often wonder if we're not better off out of it. A lack of meeja interest should keep the legions of hangers on and folk who feel they should be there away from what should be a (hugely sad and emotional) event for the family - including the military family - and close friends.
  11. Well just think of the miillions that still lie in far of lands.
  12. Fcuk the media and their coverage of repatriations. Our dead from Afganistan were repatriated with reverance and the honour they deserved from their mates and with the utmost of respect. All other nations soldiers were also present at the sunset ceremony at Kandahar.

To have had media there would have being an insult in my opinion. The ceremony at Brize was no different, with members of the regiment and family present - no media.
  13. True, to a degree, but the "family" of the Armed Forces (including "significant others") is a small one and it shouldn't only be left to us to recognise the sacrifices made and to remember the dead and injured. Those who are invited to attend the repatriations should be decided by the families concerned, but I do think that our news programmes should focus for a couple of minutes at least on each and every repatriation as (whilst each death is one too many) thankfully we have not suffered thousands of fatalities so repatriations have not become common-place events.

When we suffered those losses the Armed Forces "family" encompassed practically every house-hold in the land, thus people did remember their own and felt empathy with their neighbours.
  14. I think the coverage is quite reasonable really. Given that the purpose of killing British soldiers is less about the attrition of manpower and more about the effect on public opinion at home, there has to be a balance between appropriate respect for those who have paid the ultimate price for this country, and handing over a propaganda victory every time which, perversely, would make the value of every future death that much higher, and thus more attractive to the baddies. A sober and measured approach to such matters is the British way.
  15. Since repatration of Britian's war dead moved from Brize to Lyneham the Mayor and towns folk of Wootton Bassett form an 'Honour' guard at the towns war memorial as the cortege passes through the town en route to the GWH.
    Points West (local BBC news) usually have coverage on repatration services.
    I agree that we should be reminded of our fallen and the sacrifice they have made, and therefore there should be national press coverage. However the families of the fallen have the final decision as to coverage of their loved ones arrival back home, it's their grief that matters, not ours.