Repatriation of the Fallen

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rampant, Nov 21, 2009.

?
  1. Should we bring back our dead?

25.0%
  2. Should we bury them in the countries where they fall?

20.8%
  3. Is it because the fallen must be near their families?

33.3%
  4. Is it fear their graves will be desecrated?

16.7%
  5. Is it financially easier for them to looked after at home?

4.2%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Saladin brought up an idea in another thread:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=3020001.html#3020001

repeated here:

Interesting idea there Saladin, when did we really start repatriating the dead (not until post WW2 certainly, and why what re the reasons: Tim Collins in Rules of Engagement notes that british War Graves in Iraq were still well cared for even after the most recent invasion.

Is it because the fallen must be near their families?
    Is it fear their graves will be desecrated (evidence of or against please)?
    Is it financially easier for them to looked after at home? (Imperial War Graves Commission doesn't have to support caretakers and bones in dusty or humid places???)
    Should we bring back our dead?
    Should we bury them where they fall?

2. Should be up to the families.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

The Falkland Islands would be more accurate than WWII.

In one way it is exactly the opposite. Up until WWI Officers bodies were traditionally repatriated for family burial wherever possible. WWI was one of the first wars where Officers were interred alongside their troops and there was one hell of a stink about it.

Lutyens was quite heavily involved in this, when acting as Architect for what would become The War Graves Commission. There is quite a lot of detail in this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3625387/Well-miss-our-corners-of-a-foreign-field.html

4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Excellent article Grem, cheers: I feet that the dead should be interred nearest where they fall. Sentimental, yes, indeed there must be few countries on this planet that does not have a British soldier cradled in the bossom of its earth. I have visited many in the M/E, Africa, Europe and South Am.

The points raised in your post are those I can empathise with: an equality in death. An equality in service, not one subject to the high emotion of grief and loss, but one of fellowship.

5. If I get snotted on my next afghan tour, I dont want to left in the dump. I want to come home , so my family can pop down to visit .

6. Only very recently. In fact, prior to the Boer War, the corpses of the fallen were treated with little, if any respect whatsoever - other than the odd memorial either in situ or back home. Those that were not simply left to rot and bleach in the sun where they fell were shovelled in to hastily-dug mass graves. The fallout of battle in the mid-19th Century and before makes for some enlightening reading, with skeletons being exhumed (if buried) and crushed for fertiliser or harvested for their teeth!

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

IIRC the Germans maintained the cemteries in France during their Hols there in the 40's
    I believe most of the damage was done as we and the Septics fought our way past them so our grandads could get a free battlefield tour of where their dads had been

Although I must cofess to feeling Wooton Basset is getting a bit mawkish now
    It seems every greif whore is starting to make their way there to get hysterical on soneones behalf

Did anyone see the Chubb u like the other night on the news
    "I've now lost 29 friend and hero's in Afghanistan and I like to get here early to get a good spot"
    It was about 09:00 the place was desrted but she was packed up for day trip

8. When the Hog Roast van starts turning up then it's time to have a word.

9. How can you vote for/against a list of questions? Mad!!!!!!!

Should we bring back our dead?

Should we bury them in the countries where they fall?

Is it because the fallen must be near their families?

Is it fear their graves will be desecrated?

Is it financially easier for them to looked after at home?

View Results

10. I agree with the comment about Wooton Bassett - it used to be an almost private dignified affair, but it seems to be the griefgroupies version of second man on the balcony. "Oh, I 've come to them all to show they're appreciated". It's less of an appreciation, and more of a thing about showing appreciation, very "Look at me, I care considerably more than you". It's a shame that soldiers aren't appreciated when they're alive, but then it's just a reinforcement of Rudyard Kipling and "Tommy".

11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Thankfully this is a decision I will never have to actually make. However I feel that in today's way of life the bodies should be flown home. In years gone by it would have taken months to get bodies home and therefore not practical and too expensive. Today it is relatively simple to bring the fallen back to UK.

What really needs to change is the Coroner's Court. These people have died on active service, why should there be any Coroner's Court? The bodies should be flown home and released to families, with as much help and support as is required, immediately.

12. Rampant, your poll is sh1t.

personally, I wouldn't want to be left in the ******** of the world so I think the dead should be brought home.

However, aside from families there should be a law that prevents freaks with self esteem issues from turning up to repats. Weirdo's.

13. There are a number of very good reasons why HM Coroner holds inquests into combat deaths, not least to ensure a duty of care of our employer. Without it, the MOD could send us on Ops with nothing but a bow and arrow in the name of cost cutting.

14. A-Y, if it is the families you are concerned about, some of them at least would strongly disagree with you on that.

You also seem to imply that the coroner's involvement delays the release of the remains to families. Any delay due to that cause is insignificant in relation to the repatriation process as a whole.

15. Why? When your dead your just meat ffs!