Repatriation Confusion

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by editor486650, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is now considerable confusion about the identity of personnel being repatriated from Lyneham to Oxford. The names and units were, until now, made known on this Forum. I am a town councillor in Faringdon and have helped to organise remembrance gatherings on the A420 at Folly Hill as the courteges went past. But we have always managed to inform people present of who was in the coffins.

This Forum now directs users to look at the Wootton Bassett Town Council website for details. But that Town Council has no idea who is being repatriated - they just say "ring the RAF"!

I will continue to pay my respects to the coffins as they go past, but would prefer to be able to pay my respects to the people inside the coffins. Will we remember them, or merely the shapes of the coffins with nameless people inside?

Could someone please get a grip....

2. Please ring the RAF for details.

3. Have you tried calling the RAF?

4. editor486650 - this is not our responsibility

5. Yes I have rung the number for the RAF and was given 2 numbers at Lyneham for "Media Operations", neither of which answers or has an answerphone.

I suppose we in Faringdon could block the A420 and ask the first car who is in the coffins, but a little forethought from the RAF could prevent this....

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The clue is hidden in the name of this site:

Rumour

No need to thank me.

7. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Why do you need to know who is in the coffin, if you are a relative you will have been informed.

The very fact that you are turning out to pay your respects to a fallen serviceman is more than enough.

8. I eventually got a reply on extension 6608.

Gdsm King, Coldstream Guards
    Cpl Etchells, 2RRF
    Capt Shepherd, 11 EOD Regt

9. Thread edited. I am not aware of one of those names, being released into the public domain.

Editor, I have a strong suspicion as to which Faringdon councillor you are most likely to be, and I fully appreciate and applaud why you are this interested in ensuring that correct respects are paid.

Best regards

PTP

10. Name is here on BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8156876.stm

(My post was a corrected spelling & unit)

11. I am not clairvoyant. Four names were given to me and spelled out by RAF Lyneham Media Ops. Why the continuing secrecy? Why cannot the dead be remembered?

My Regiment's Light Dragoons Battlegroup is currently in Helmand, so I want to know if any integral/attached personnel are coming home The Light Dragoons are a close-knit family regiment and I personally would make a special effort to get old comrades to pay their respects.

So, could the editing Moderator please now clarify the names of the personnel coming through, with either RAF spelling or some other version please. And there are 4 not 3 coffins.

12. The spelling was wrong so the name was removed in case it had not yet been released. It had, and the name is Rifleman Aminiasi Toge from 2nd Battalion The Rifles.

All names are released through the mainstream press. They'll be on here as soon as they are. You won't find them on this site before that.

13. Editor, if your freinds or family had died would you want to be informed by the local rag/well wishers, or by a family, friend or official representitive of Her Majesty?

Hence teh secracy. Not all names are realeased, as it is up to the greiveing family.

Hardly a slap in the face for yourself, nor a burden you shouldn't be able to carry, if the family wish for a bit of time to inform kith and kin or just to greive before the names are realeased.

14. My last reply was edited, but fook me, your sir are a complete tw@

You have about as much compassion as a wet puddle of pi55

You say you are a councillor, but christ on a bike, you post like a complete retard who cant get his own way, either go through the correct channels, or do everyone a favour, and do one.

15. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

But you expect us to be?

We aren't the Army repatriation service.

Distasteful, no matter how decent your motives

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.