Reparing potholes would make people drive faster

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8001310.stm

An Essex parish council wants potholes to be left unfilled for longer to act as a "natural traffic calming" measure.

Navestock parish councillors claim repairing potholes is costly and allows motorists to drive faster.

Critics say uneven roads are a danger to cyclists and motorbike riders and could lead to more insurance claims.

Essex County Council said most people wanted potholes repaired and it would be making arrangements to fill those in Navestock as quickly as possible.

Parish councillor Richard Folkson said: "It takes a lot of time and resources to chase the county council to maintain the roads around the village.

"Potholes are natural traffic calming. If you fill them in, it just allows people to drive faster down these roads.

"If they're not filled, they have to slow down."
I'm beyond words...

They miss the point that vehicles swerve around potholes and drivers may devote too much attention to the road surface.

I think they might have missed the parish counciler saying "It's for the greater good".

As pointed out above, the cars MAY slow down but the driver will spend so much of their attention time on avoiding pot holes, that they will not be looking out for pedestrians. Or push bikes swerving around them also.

So, parish counciler.... pretty please, with a cherry on top, FIX THE FCUKING ROADS. And stop making up half baked "road safety schemes". If you want them to slow, actually make road calming measures. Again pretty easy to do.

And the not insignificant point that we actually pay through the nose for the roads to be maintained? Where is that money going then? Yeah, yeah, I know...

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm in agreement. I think there shouldn't be tarmacked roads in the UK at all. I mean, fancy driving along at 70 mph - it's lunacy. With mud and rocks for a road surface, people will drive much more carefully - they sure do in Africa!

Biped said:
I'm in agreement. I think there shouldn't be tarmacked roads in the UK at all. I mean, fancy driving along at 70 mph - it's lunacy. With mud and rocks for a road surface, people will drive much more carefully - they sure do in Africa!
Just think how much more money would be available to the MPs for second home expenses fiddles if more money was diverted from road expenditure.

Le_addeur_noir said:
Biped said:
Just think how much more money would be available to the MPs for second home expenses fiddles if more money was diverted from road expenditure.
Do they spend anything on the roads then :?

I'll tell you what they wont slow down, Gimp's truck :twisted:

I bet he hasn't hit a pothole while riding a motorbike! By acknowledging that the potholes exist, as a parish councillor doesn't this make the council liable for any claims for damage caused? At least in his parish.

And I presume the Parish Council are going to foot the bill from the compensation claims for wheel and suspension damage, seeing as they are willfully neglecting their duty of care to their parishoners, and endangering road users?

I think it is possibly time that us motorists pay some form of money towards the maintenance of the highways, some sort of, road tax, if you will?

Holy Jesus, my tongue just pierced my cheek!

vampireuk said:
I think it is possibly time that us motorists pay some form of money towards the maintenance of the highways, some sort of, road tax, if you will?

Holy Jesus, my tongue just pierced my cheek!
What kind of commie talk is this? You'll be expecting National Insurance to pay for such mundane things as the NHS and pensions next!

Talking of Road Tax, I've only just realised that my kit-car Im rebuilding is not Tax Exempt!
The rules were changes and it now has to be pre 1972................ Bastards slipped that by me!

cometcatcher said:
And I presume the Parish Council are going to foot the bill from the compensation claims for wheel and suspension damage, seeing as they are willfully neglecting their duty of care to their parishoners, and endangering road users?
No they wouldn't be as they aren't responsible for the road's upkeep, Essex County Council is, who've said that they're repairing the potholes anyway, against the wishes of the Parish Council.

captaincalamity said:
And the not insignificant point that we actually pay through the nose for the roads to be maintained? Where is that money going then? Yeah, yeah, I know...
More to the point, the local council actually has a legal duty to maintain the roads, to the point of being legally liable for damage caused to vehicles by potholes in the road.

Pointing this out to the moron who suggested this, together with the fact that a few posters on the lines of "Wonder why you're paying more council tax? This man is why: his policy means that money goes on legal costs and damages to motorists". Mentioning the BNP might also be a good move, too.

Doc1701 said:
captaincalamity said:
More to the point, the local council actually has a legal duty to maintain the roads, to the point of being legally liable for damage caused to vehicles by potholes in the road.

Pointing this out to the moron who suggested this, together with the fact that a few posters on the lines of "Wonder why you're paying more council tax? This man is why: his policy means that money goes on legal costs and damages to motorists". Mentioning the BNP might also be a good move, too.
As they are doing, to their timetable and against the wishes of the parish council.

Leave them to it. Going out on a limb, I reckon these whiners are probably in the more "aged" bracket. Let's see how many potholes they want in the way of the ambulance that will inevitably have to come for them when their gammy old organs pack in.

On a side note: Road tax is pointless in its current form and should be added to petrol prices. No avoiding it, fewer overheads at the DVLA, and it will be fairer across the board because it will be directly linked to road use. And yes, I know that people can smuggle in dodgy fuel, and that the creation of pointless Government jobs is the current trend (says the Civil Servant...) but weighing the arguments I still reckon it makes perfect sense.

You know full well if they were to do that it would be put on top of our current road tax.

Latest Threads