Repairs to Military Compass

I recently acquired a 1943 marching compass in very good condition - except that some of the fluid has drained out and there is a substantial bubble as a result. Can anyone recommend a good chap who can carry out such repairs?

I also have a 19th Century surveying compass with a broken, flat glass. AllI need is a circular glass cut - about 3 1/2" round. Any recommendations?

I'm based overseas but get back to the UK (mainly London) fairly frequently.

Avionics/instrument tech? Might want to find one of the old school ones who isn't just a board swapper though.

Anyone know anyone or any companies who refurbish compasses?
Does @trademarklondon still do this sort of thing? I've a recollection that he used to.

(Thankfully I remembered that we came across him when he started a what's this thread that turned out to be a sun compass - and, for once, the search function has actually worked).

I recently acquired a 1943 marching compass in very good condition - except that some of the fluid has drained out and there is a substantial bubble as a result. Can anyone recommend a good chap who can carry out such repairs?

I also have a 19th Century surveying compass with a broken, flat glass. AllI need is a circular glass cut - about 3 1/2" round. Any recommendations?

A clockmaker might be able to do the glass.

Hi Crash LE,
email me a clear photo of the dial of the compasses with the lid open to
paul (at) trademarklondon (dot) com
and I'll get back to you.

Anyone know about re calibrating moral compasses? Apparently mine is a little faulty.

Here's an old fashioned method for establishing the accuracy of a march compass such as the OP describes. This is based on the idea that it's easier to lay down an accurate (good enough for government work anyway) East - West line than it is a North South line. Thus, within two weeks either way of the Vernal or Autumnal Equinoxes, do this. (These are the dates when the day is almost equal in length to the night.) In 2018 in the Northern Hemisphere these dates are the 21st March and 23rd September respectively:

Obtain a good straight stake (minimum 3' high and wooden if possible) to use as a gnomen or shadow stick. Drive this into the ground such that it won't fall over and is as close to perpendicular to the ground as you can get it. Mark the end of the shadow each hour or each half hour by the use of a stone or by driving a (preferably wooden) stake into the ground. Because you are doing this within a fortnight either way of either Equinox you will observe the points you mark will form a straight line. At other times of the year they would form an arc and you would then have to estimate the straightest path through this arc.

Stretch a string tightly along the line so created and observe how many mils the march compass is off from either 1600 or 4800 mils, depending on which way you are facing when you lay your march compass over it. I think, although I may be wrong, that a Mortar Fire Controller or Artillery FOO required his compass to be no more than 20 mils out either way (1.125 Degrees)

Edited to add, in the Southern Hemisphere the dates are the same, except your Vernal (21st March) is our Autumnal, and vice versa.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Weapons, Equipment & Rations 8
Blogg The Intelligence Cell 47
Belepheron1 Sappers 17