Rep. Weldon: Iran Plans To Attack USA

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Jun 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rep. Curt Weldon, R-Pa., knew the United States was a terrorist target before the Sept. 11 attacks because of a secret source — “Ali” — but the CIA refused to listen, the congressman writes in a new book.

In “Countdown to Terror: The Top-Secret Information That Could Prevent the Next Terrorist Attack on America . . . and How the CIA Has Ignored It,” Weldon details intelligence secrets “Ali” has provided and warns that Iran, not al Qaeda, is the United States’ biggest enemy, according to the book’s description on Amazon.com. The 256-page book, published by Regnery Publishing, will be released June 13.

In the book, Weldon exposes warnings from his source that Iran will attack America next; that Iran, not al Qaeda, is actually the nexus of Islamic terrorism; and that Iran has an advanced nuclear program.

Weldon is vice chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee and chairman of the House Armed Services Committee’s Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces.

" In New Book, Weldon Says He Had Secret Terrorism Source Before Sept. 11" by Eileen Sullivan. 3 June 2005
    http://www.cq.com/public/20050603B_homeland.html

2. I love American book titles. They are (1) always very, very long and (2) tell the potential purchaser exactly what it's about.

For example, I've just bought Col. Tim's Rules of Engagement. If Col. Tim were a Yank, the title would presumably be something like:

How I Invaded Iraq, Made a Top Speech, Made Buddies with the Locals But Was Betrayed By My Capricious Superiors...and How The MoD has Ignored Me.

V!

3. I don't know what I find more irksome, stating the 'obvious'; or making money from it...

4. Vegetius' new avatar does add a bit of class to the thread, though. Has to be said.

5. Rep. Weldon is accused of retailing misinformation from a discredited source through his recently published book, Countdown to Terror.

This is from the "xymphora" blog and Laura Rozen.

It is said that Rep. Weldon's secret informant, codenamed "Ali," was a former minister in the government of the Shah of Iran, Fereidoun Mahdavi.

Mr. Mahdavi was, in turn, passing on information, or sham information, from a Mr. Manucher Ghorbanifar who was "the subject of a rare CIA 'burn notice' after the agency found him to be a 'fabricator' more than two decades ago during the Iran-Contra affair."

The Rozen article quotes the CIA's former Paris station chief as referring to Rep. Weldon's revelations as "sensationalistic garbage."

In fairness to Rep. Weldon, his book accuses the CIA of ignoring evidence of Iranian belligerance.

"Curt Weldon's Deep Throat" by Laura Rozen. 10 June 2005
    http://www.prospect.org/web/page.ww?section=root&name=ViewWeb&articleId=9836

"Mahdavi-Ghorbanifar-Ledeen" 11 June 2005
    http://xymphora.blogspot.com/

6. Xymphora opines:

Ghorbanifar is using Fereidoun Mahdavi as a cutout to spread the stories about Iran in Washington, as he knows his own reputation is so bad that no one would believe them if it was known where they really came from. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ghorbanifar was himself a cutout, being used to disguise the real source of the stories, his good friend Michael Ledeen.

The most recent Ledeen-Ghorbanifar controversy is the series of meetings held between Ledeen and Ledeen's people from Feith's Pentagon office (specifically, the Office of Special Plans created to create the lies required for the attack on Iraq without having to worry about any inconvenient factual objections raised by the CIA), and Ghorbanifar and his associates (of course, the original Ledeen-Ghorbanifar controversy was a little thing we now know as Iran-Contra). These meetings went on despite the efforts of the State Department and the CIA to stop them. The first such meeting was held in Rome in December 2001, and by amazing coincidence the forged Niger yellowcake documents surfaced, in Rome, in October 2002 (the man who claims to be the source of the documents, Rocco Martino, is a man the FBI is remarkably uninterested in talking to). Rozen points out that included with the yellowcake documents was a completely over-the-top memo in which all the countries under sanctions conspired together to have the sanctions lifted (in my opinion, not the kind of document that somebody like Ghorbanifar or Chalabi would produce, but right up Ledeen's alley). Vincent Cannistaro has said that if you said the forger was Michael Ledeen, you'd be 'very close'."

7. Hee! That could be its own thread. Famous book titles rewritten by current authors.

Wuthering Heights: A Moorland Tale of Catherine and Heathcliff, Love, Betrayal, Revenge and Tight Corsets.

OK, I'm going... :oops:

8. Biggest enemy of America is ....... America!

9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Not quite - biggest enemy of America are Americans.?

10. When all is said and done, why would Iran attack America? I mean really, the ayatollahs may fulminate about "the great Satan" but they are not really the suicidal type. A distant, threatening America makes a good bogeyman for the population but I can't see as there is anything in it for them initiating serious hostilities.

11. Well, the septics don't have the commies to use as the 'bogeyman' now. I suppose anything to move the attention away from (as snapper and Yin suggested) the massive failings of themselves is a good thing in their own eyes.

Iran attacking America? I believe there is a queue.

12. There might be a queue but it starts about ten yards back from the desk because no bugger wants to be first.

13. Always the same with the school bully. No one wants to be the one to give him a bloody nose...........

14. 1942

A comedic film, or a deep and probing documentary into the Armerican psyche?

15. A ghastly disorganized, waste of money and talent. All of the stars did better work elsewhere. I recall reading an article in Playboy that came out around the same time which charged that the cost of the cocaine consumed on the set exceeded the rather large production budget.

For a film that was both a comedy and a revealing exploration of an influential faction within the American body politic, I recommend Stanley Kubrick's Doctor Strangelove. Real life American political figures, including members of the present cabinet, would fit right into that story. They wouldn't need a script; they could just play themselves.