Renovating / Rebuilding a Spainish Ruin

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by DesktopCommando, Aug 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Later in life when retirement comes (hopefully not to soon) Im going to emigrate to Spain, Ive been looking at land and ruins in quite a few area's, and from what Ive seen and understood about Spainish local laws (and requires further reading) its quite easy to do your own work, and get it certified afterwards (if at all).

So I have been looking throughout the WWW at various forums and pages, and would like to see if there are any few amongst the Arrser community.

I would like to find a pile of stones and do it up myself where possible, and wouldnt care about the time span.

From Solar power/Wind turbine/Mulch heating/Solar Heating/Hydro power/Well water.. and any other ideas
    (looking at building much of above, at minimal cost also)

The $1000 Solar Water Heating System The Otherpower discussion board - Index
    Off Grid Solar Power Kits with Battery and Inverter
  2. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

3. DTC have you thought about these

Geothermal heating systems

Parabolic solar steam boiler

Alternative Fireplaces

Heating with corn

Hydronic heating systems
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Keep this thread up! I too am planning to buy a Finka and rebuild.
  5. A good thread DTC, can you post any images of any potential ruins you are looking at? this would be my ideal one although not Spain, it is Gran Sasso, Arbruzzo, Italy...

6. The Rams Skull Press

Bushcraft 5 is particularly helpful re. rammed earth and mud brick building. HTH
  7. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I would consider Superadobe over rammed earth in Spain, simply due to the Building regulations regarding earthquake proofing.

Super Adobe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cal-Earth - The California Institute of Earth Art and Architecture

Earthbag Building Index

The technique devised by the late Architect Nadir Kahlili has passed all of California's strict testing and coding for earthquake proofing.

The third link has loads and loads of different building plans that can be ordered, all certified by architects moreover earthbag/superadobe buildings are perfect for regions with high temperatures.
  8. Was looking at this one Ruin for Sale in Murtas (Ref: 837410) €9,000 basically would love to be in that area, nice amount of land too 9000m2, have seen properties for sale with upto 50,000m2 plots for sale around the 20k (euro) mark :) be nice in winter if the snow goes to that area.
  9. There are many companies that offer efficient and renewble energy products in the Granada region that range from inexpensive to bloody extortionate.

Most of these services are relatively easy to aquire too.

Make sure that you get an impartially recommended solicitor to check your deeds and land registry entries, many are falling foul of that at the moment. Although some town halls are allowing renovations, they are not in a position to give the regional government permits.

Also if the land register is correct, make sure you own the whole building. I nearly bought a place where the bathroom was owned by a different person to the seller.

That said, I don't want to come across as negative. Granada province can be a great place to live, as long as you have an outside income.
  10. 5 Hectares! (just over 12 acres) that would be very nice! you could start your own Vineyard...
  11. I thought this was a thread about Spanish Dave!

12. Personally I'm looking a bit further north - Galicia - Prices seem to be lower and the climate is still good but not so likely to become a Desert within 20 years.....