Renewal of Security Clearance

Gamer 69

Old-Salt
Hi, about 22 months ago, I was offered a job at MOD, got security clearance.

I stayed at the NHS and didn't take up the offer.

Potentially a new role for a Defence Contractor coming up. Am I still cleared? How do I find out? Can I extend?

As it's pretty clear I don't have much of a clue about this. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Potentially a new role for a Defence Contractor coming up. Am I still cleared? How do I find out? Can I extend?

As it's pretty clear I don't have much of a clue about this. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers
Speak to your MoD contact from the job offer and see if they are able to transfer it to the new sponsor.

anglo

LE

Cheers
It being a new job, more than likely, you will have to go through clearance again

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
BPSS?

If so the thieving sods [private company, was Crapita at one time IIRC] who do the checking will want to be paid again.

I have two security passes, one for MOD and one for Sellafield.

They are processed by the same company but I have to fill in the forms twice and supply my passport details etc twice.

So the answer is probably you'll have to go through the whole rigmarole again.

Tyk

LE

Cheers

Depends on the clearance.
At 22 months since it was done, very high chance it's lapsed, I'd be pretty shocked if it hasn't.

Tyk

LE
Yep, but at least then I would need to know reference numbers etc, if I reapply.

Well you don't, if the clearance was done it will be on file. If you're sponsored for a new one you'll have to fill in all the forms anyway, not like you can put yourself forwards for a clearance.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
SC is valid from 12 months from last use ( or was a few years ago when I last had it). I belive it would be transferable but its a ball ache. How ever because you are over the 12 month period. You will need to go through it again. I'm nor Sure if it's the same for DV.

BPSS?

If so the thieving sods [private company, was Crapita at one time IIRC] who do the checking will want to be paid again.

I have two security passes, one for MOD and one for Sellafield.

They are processed by the same company but I have to fill in the forms twice and supply my passport details etc twice.

So the answer is probably you'll have to go through the whole rigmarole again.

A private company manages U.K. security clearance?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
A private company manages U.K. security clearance?
Yes. At least they do the checks of the documentation.

As I said used to be Crapita some years ago when I got my first clearance, might have changed now. If I allow my Sellafield clearance to lapse then I'm told that I will have to start again from scratch.

I''m waiting to see if I have to go through the rigmarole again when Amey Defence Services are hoofed in favour of Vivo / Mitie / etc in a months time. :rolleyes:

This will be a right PITA since I already have 3 jobs lines up which will require BPSS as a minimum.

ETA that I've had my BPSS since 2007 and my Sellafield clearance since 2008.

Yuppers, you will probably have to do it again. Clearance being granted, but a no show for the job means play it again Sam.

Not accepting the position means there is no personal record to attach it to... Adjudicated (aka granted) clearances are time sensitive and typically expire after a number of years of inactive use... In the states it's 2 years.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Depends on the clearance.
At 22 months since it was done, very high chance it's lapsed, I'd be pretty shocked if it hasn't.
I think the employer who applied for the clearance has to pay an annual fee. I too would be shocked if they're paying for someone who never joined them!

auggie rock

Old-Salt
Having at one point held SC and DV at the same time and both well in date I was surprised (but not that surprised) to find myself having to get a new SC for a change of job. If I was being cynical I'd say it's basically a cash-cow for the people who do the clearing - but it actually makes sense if you think about it.

Tyk

LE
Having at one point held SC and DV at the same time and both well in date I was surprised (but not that surprised) to find myself having to get a new SC for a change of job. If I was being cynical I'd say it's basically a cash-cow for the people who do the clearing - but it actually makes sense if you think about it.

A few years back the Cabinet Office stopped the Home Office (or at least tried to) from requiring their own brand of SC and refusing to accept one from an MOD sponsorship. I believe the FCO also had some variant which also achieved bugger all apart from duplicated effort.

SC renewals even if they have a year or two left aren't unknown if the tasking is likely to go past that date, the departments have all sorts of rules and they rarely align even though the Cabinet Office laid down the law some time back.

The 12 month expiry on SC isn't in the official rules, it can expire on leaving a role, all depends on the Security Office of the place you've left. Some can tend to just tell the clearance people "no longer required!" unless they've had a transfer request.

Latest Threads