Resource icon

Renaissance Combat

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
A hard book to review this one really, It's an excellent translation of the original, with an excellent appendix and bibliography by the modern author. But it's a very niche subject and not really for the general reader.
It is of course lavishly illustrated in colour with plates taken directly from the original, including to my delight a cock and ball doodle by persons unknown

Click here to read the full review.....

Your review might have been a bit better if you had perhaps explained that the original is a renaissance era (1521 - 1532) fencing manual (or treatise) following the German tradition (Liechtenauer). There is a focus on longsword, along with other topics.

Pardon my eyes. They saw Reconnaissance Combat, and this is obviously not about a recce with delusions of being a fighting patrol.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Your review might have been a bit better if you had perhaps explained that the original is a renaissance era (1521 - 1532) fencing manual (or treatise) following the German tradition (Liechtenauer). There is a focus on longsword, along with other topics.
Hmm, for some reason the byline with all those details has been omitted, I'll amend it. TBH I was hoping the cock and ball doodle would be the main attraction though.

Last edited:
Hmm, for some reason the byline with all those details has been omitted, I'll amend it. TBH I was hoping the cock and ball doodle would be the main attraction though.
If the book covers dagger fighting then there is a type of period weapon which would probably appeal to you, known as a bollock dagger. This had two large roundish balls on the hilt as a guard, and the opposite end of the hilt flared out near the end. It was frequently worn vertically at the front near the middle. It was intended to be suggestive of exactly like what your filthy mind is thinking it looked like.

Here's a modern reproduction.
20171214_101252_00889_a3s-hd.jpg

Here's some archaeologically found hilts (the blades have largely corroded away) from a ship which sank in the mid 1500s. You can see that these originals were even less subtle about it.

MaryRose-bollock_daggers.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
If the book covers dagger fighting then there is a type of period weapon which would probably appeal to you, known as a bollock dagger. This had two large roundish balls on the hilt as a guard, and the opposite end of the hilt flared out near the end. It was frequently worn vertically at the front near the middle. It was intended to be suggestive of exactly like what your filthy mind is thinking it looked like.

Here's a modern reproduction.
20171214_101252_00889_a3s-hd.jpg

Here's some archaeologically found hilts (the blades have largely corroded away) from a ship which sank in the mid 1500s. You can see that these originals were even less subtle about it.

MaryRose-bollock_daggers.jpg
Indeed, hastily renamed as the kidney dagger by the more sensitive.

Latest Threads