Ren Leave- upto date info req.

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by gundog, Nov 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is the latest on REN leave? Some people I have spoke with seem to think that it can be refused like normal leave, others that it requires 3 months notice. Myself I was under the impression that it can only be refused for operational reasons. Can have some chapter and verse from the ALM, the edition number of the ALM would not go amiss as well.

Thanks

2. im not a pay bloke, but as i understand the rules:

can only be refused for operational reasons
    cant be combined with other leave
    has to be taken in 1 week blocks (at least)
    has to be taken within 3 years of becoming eligible
    no rule on notice that i am aware of, just normal leave pass

3. I do not claim to know if this is the definitive answer and is based purely upon me trawling through the Army Leave Manual for you :)

I used the electronic copy 3rd Revision May 2000.

Before I start cutting and pasting. In summary I think the answer to your question is "Yes it can be refused" just the same as normal leave. At the beginning of the ALM in the definitions section para 0103 .a (6)

(6) Leave Leave is defined as approved and recorded periods of absence from duty taken from an authorised annual leave allowance or an allowance for certain other circumstances, including medical and compassionate situations. The granting and the timing of all forms of leave (with the exception of maternity leave), be it part of an entitlement, a privilege or discretionary, is to be at the discretion of the Service subject to operational requirements and other Service exigencies.

The last sentance clearly lays out that ALL leave except maternity may be refused.

The actual section on RENLEAVE makes no reference whatsoever to refusal, hence my beleief that the above para applies.

Here is the full section on Renleave pasted for you. (Its Chapter 3 Section 3) its not actually that big

"SECTION 3 - LEAVE ON PROLONGATION OF SERVICE (RENLEAVE)

GENERAL

0313. RENLEAVE is granted to those soldiers who joined the Army before 31 Mar 99 as compensation for the postponement of terminal leave.

0314. 20 working days RENLEAVE may be granted to eligible soldiers, including those in the R IRISH (HSFT), on the Notice or Open Engagements who have committed themselves to 12 years continuous Colour service having completed 11 years continuous Colour service. A soldier who signifies an intention to leave the Colours is no longer eligible for RENLEAVE

0315. 20 working days RENLEAVE may also be granted to eligible soldiers, including those in the R IRISH (HSFT), on the Notice or Open Engagements who have committed themselves to 18 years continuous Colour service having completed 17 years continuous Colour service. A soldier who signifies an intention to leave the Colours is no longer eligible for RENLEAVE.

0316. Not more than one period of RENLEAVE is admissible to soldiers eligible under the terms of para 0314 and not more than one period to soldiers eligible under the terms of para 0315.

0317. Eligibility for reserved rights to RENLEAVE ceases when soldiers change their engagement.

0318. A soldier who has spent a period in the Regular Reserve during the currency of his engagement will not be eligible for RENLEAVE. However, a soldier who rejoins from the Reserve and subsequently completes the required period of continuous Colour service required by paras 0314 and 0315, will be eligible for RENLEAVE.

RENLEAVE - WHEN TO BE TAKEN

0319. RENLEAVE is to be taken at the earliest convenient opportunity after qualifying for it, either separately or in addition to any other form of leave (except terminal leave) for which the individual is eligible.

a. Soldiers granted RENLEAVE in addition to other leave are to remain on the strength of their units during the whole period of absence on leave. They will not be replaced.

b. A soldier who qualifies for a second period of RENLEAVE before taking the first may not aggregate the two periods, nor add any RENLEAVE remaining from the first period to the second period.

c. No additional free travel is admissible.

d. It may not be added to terminal leave nor may it be taken after a soldier has signified his intention to leave the Colours.

e. RENLEAVE will only be granted on the authority of the Commanding Officer.

Commanding Officers are encouraged to grant this leave to those eligible to receive it.

0320. RENLEAVE is to be taken within the first three years after the soldier has qualified for it, and may be taken in individual periods of not less than 5 working days. Exceptional reasons for further deferment should be referred:

a. Those units that Arms Plot : to the Commanding Officer.

b. All other units: to the appropriate MCM Div at the APC, Glasgow.

Soldiers who qualify for such leave during overseas service (including international posts but excluding other posts in NWE) may have the period during which it may be taken extended, if applicable, to up to 2 years from the date of reversion to home establishment or return to national duty. Exceptional reasons for further deferment should be referred as laid down in sub-paras 0320 a & b, above.

DOCUMENTATION

0321. When RENLEAVE in the UK is granted to individuals travelling home from overseas commands for leave or courses, it is essential that this information be recorded in the travel documents of those concerned before they are despatched from their overseas commands.

0322. When RENLEAVE is granted, it is to be recorded in the individual's Unit Leave Records and, where used, in red ink on the Leave Record Card AF B 6993. RENLEAVE subsequently taken is also to be recorded in the individual's Unit Leave Records and, where used, in red ink as a separate entry on the AF B6993.

ACTING RANK - RETENTION AND RELINQUISHMENT

0323. See QRs, Chapter 9, paras 9.147-9.158.

RENLEAVE NOT A PRESCRIBED BENEFIT

0324. The grant of RENLEAVE is not a benefit in consideration of which a soldier serving on Notice or Open engagement may waive his right to leave the Colours.

0325-0329. Reserved."