Removing wire from smock hood?

Greetings from the Colonies!

At risk of being seriously mauled by the patient and warm individuals on this site(!), I must ask for some guidance:

I have a windproof S2000 smock, and the wire in the hood has broken in at least one place, so I'd like to remove it.

Is there a best recommended way to do this, to minimize damage to the remaining item? I realize that "just remove it" sounds simple, but I happen to be fairly simple, so would like some words of wisdom from the experienced folk running about here.

Thanks in advance!

Neal

A very small cut at the edge, then pull out with a gentle but robust movement. If it catches a bit just carry on. Sew up the hole, and then put a bit of superglue on top of the thread.

Removed the wire from mine this way, no probs.

Cut a small hole in one of the corners (where the ends bend into a kind of right angle) and pull out. Alternatively just cut along the extra flap of where the wire is.

Z

Zarathustra

On my issued smocks I snipped a small hole at one end of the hood and then pulled the wire through, not sure how this'll work if the wire has broken.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Cut the hood off and wear it like a Cardie. If the wind gets up, pull your ballie out the pocket and put it on.

On my issued smocks I snipped a small hole at one end of the hood and then pulled the wire through, not sure how this'll work if the wire has broken.
Make a hole at both ends and pull out both pieces :thumright:

Cut the whole strip off at the seam before it, that whole inch is useless (which oddly, is what Mrs Morsk says. I didnt even know she knew about smock hood wire.....)

Are you french? cannot remove a strand of wire from a hood without help.

god help us all.

Viva Quebec.

Don't remove the wire, it's an antenna, when you remove it the alien mother ship will wonder where you are!

They get very cross when they beam you up to find you've fucked it up yourself. Beaming takes a lot of power and they're centuries ahead of us, think what their electric bills must be like! You'd be lucky to get away with having alien robot spiny hamsters rammed up your arse like I did!

You use your hood??

When I got issued my smock I rolled up the hood and it hasn't moved since.
Liverpool average winter temperature = a not very chilly +4 degrees

Vancouver average winter temperature = Primates made of an alloy of copper and zinc are to be seen holding pocket warmers to their nether regions on a regular basis.

The current trend is to cut along the entire length of the hood's edge to remove the wire. Within a few days of a 'regular and robust military exercise' it will fray like hell.

Along with CS95 in MTP pattern from H12 (that can be tucked in and sleeves rolled up), it's the new alley
...apparently.