Removing wire from smock hood?

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by enfield nelly, Feb 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings from the Colonies!

At risk of being seriously mauled by the patient and warm individuals on this site(!), I must ask for some guidance:

I have a windproof S2000 smock, and the wire in the hood has broken in at least one place, so I'd like to remove it.

Is there a best recommended way to do this, to minimize damage to the remaining item? I realize that "just remove it" sounds simple, but I happen to be fairly simple, so would like some words of wisdom from the experienced folk running about here.

Thanks in advance!

Neal

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

stan.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. A very small cut at the edge, then pull out with a gentle but robust movement. If it catches a bit just carry on. Sew up the hole, and then put a bit of superglue on top of the thread.

Removed the wire from mine this way, no probs.

4. Cut a small hole in one of the corners (where the ends bend into a kind of right angle) and pull out. Alternatively just cut along the extra flap of where the wire is.

5. On my issued smocks I snipped a small hole at one end of the hood and then pulled the wire through, not sure how this'll work if the wire has broken.

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Cut the hood off and wear it like a Cardie. If the wind gets up, pull your ballie out the pocket and put it on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pardon the lack of understanding of the various colloquialisms in the mother tongue, but: "Ballie"?

Cheers,

N

8. PS - Many thanks to the folks with some advice! I shall now go pour maple syrup on my back bacon, and open a tin of molson in your honour!

9. Balaclava, possibly it's hard to tell TheIronDuke doesn't always make sense.

10. I'm going out for some maple syrup.

Forgot about that outstanding combination!

11. HHH

HHH LE

Make a hole at both ends and pull out both pieces :thumright:

12. That's sort of thinking will get you in trouble, I shouldn't do too much of it if I were you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cut the whole strip off at the seam before it, that whole inch is useless (which oddly, is what Mrs Morsk says. I didnt even know she knew about smock hood wire.....)

14. WTF?

To the OP; the wire is Copper, and worth a few shekels. If you want it removed swiftly, covertly and without pain, ask a Pikey.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Are you french? cannot remove a strand of wire from a hood without help.

god help us all.

Viva Quebec.