Removing Windows XP Pro to speed up home PC?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jan 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The BB family computer is running very slow, and on looking to see what programmes I can remove I note that MS Office Pro 2003 has been installed, but not used since 2005. I suspect this is a hookey copy loaded on by one of my children. :police: PC uses XP Home.

If I removed it, would the world fall out of the back of the monitor?
  2. No.
  3. The gifts of brevity and rapidity. Everything that is, etc.

4. msr

msr LE

I doubt it will make much difference to be honest....

How many other applications have they installed?

5. Its the second biggest programme on an old PC, some 5-6 years old I suspect. the C-drive is well over 90% full...
  6. msr

msr LE

The amount of data on the HDD does not have a significant bearing on the speed of the machine, as long as it is defragged and Windows is not complaining about running out of space.
  7. and Windows is not complaining about running out of space.

Guess what...
  8. msr

msr LE

go on...
  9. Windows is complaining about running out of space.
  10. You can also run MSconfig and see how many apps are loaded in services and startup. By reducings these to a bare minimal you can speed up the old PC. Also run defrag and disk clean up to get ride of old unused files. :D
  11. msr

msr LE

Uninstall it then, and earmark this year's bounty for a new PC ;)
  12. msr

msr LE

Be very wary of stopping services unless you know exactly what they are doing. The same goes for startup items.

13. Is why I'm asking here. I run defrag but it needs more space on the hard drive to do it properly; only about 3% free IIRC.

Very wary of uninstalling anything but I knew some compter-savvy types would be able to answer... marking my bounty is an option I'd rather not have to worry about; will uninstalling XP Pro really be an issue? Bir worried now...
  14. msr

msr LE