Removing Windows XP Pro to speed up home PC?

The BB family computer is running very slow, and on looking to see what programmes I can remove I note that MS Office Pro 2003 has been installed, but not used since 2005. I suspect this is a hookey copy loaded on by one of my children. :police: PC uses XP Home.

If I removed it, would the world fall out of the back of the monitor?

The gifts of brevity and rapidity. Everything that is, etc.

Ta.

I doubt it will make much difference to be honest....

How many other applications have they installed?

msr

Its the second biggest programme on an old PC, some 5-6 years old I suspect. the C-drive is well over 90% full...

The amount of data on the HDD does not have a significant bearing on the speed of the machine, as long as it is defragged and Windows is not complaining about running out of space.

and Windows is not complaining about running out of space.

Guess what...

go on...

You can also run MSconfig and see how many apps are loaded in services and startup. By reducings these to a bare minimal you can speed up the old PC. Also run defrag and disk clean up to get ride of old unused files. :D

Uninstall it then, and earmark this year's bounty for a new PC ;)

LordVonHarley said:
You can also run MSconfig and see how many apps are loaded in services and startup. By reducings these to a bare minimal you can speed up the old PC. Also run defrag and disk clean up to get ride of old unused files. :D
Be very wary of stopping services unless you know exactly what they are doing. The same goes for startup items.

msr

Is why I'm asking here. I run defrag but it needs more space on the hard drive to do it properly; only about 3% free IIRC.

Very wary of uninstalling anything but I knew some compter-savvy types would be able to answer... marking my bounty is an option I'd rather not have to worry about; will uninstalling XP Pro really be an issue? Bir worried now...

Bravo_Bravo said:
Is why I'm asking here. I run defrag but it needs more space on the hard drive to do it properly; only about 3% free IIRC.

Very wary of uninstalling anything but I knew some compter-savvy types would be able to answer... marking my bounty is an option I'd rather not have to worry about; will uninstalling XP Pro really be an issue? Bir worried now...
Do not uninstall Windows XP or you will have nothing on the PC ;)

Better to go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add / Remove programs and remove the ones you no longer use.

Run CCleaner and it will delete all sorts of temporary and other files.

msr

Bravo_Bravo said:
Its the XP Pro bit I'm thinking about, per the OP.
You can't remove the XP Pro bit... it is Windows.

msr

Xp pro is the O.S. you don't want to remove that, you might mean MS Office pro.