Removing non-stick coating.

paint stripper will soften it up if memory serves. I've stripped a few in the past

stainless is not normally sold as non stick though, it's usually alu.
We got the set when we had our induction hob fitted, along with a couple of aluminum non-stick frying pans with the stainless insert.

They still look in good nick.

What is says on the tin.
Heavy duty stainless steel frying pan, part of a set, just starting to show a bit of wear.
Nice pan don't want to sling it
Anybody done it or have a clue of the best way.
You need a 1970's Nan..... "I got all that black muck off your new frying pan"

Gentle sandblast and a fine polish....?

Last edited:
My wok is 27 years old (wedding present) carbon steel, always lightly oiled before being put away. It is jet black and nothing sticks. There is a Chinese saying. The blacker the wok, the better the cook.
#blackwoksmatter

'Scuse me, the Thought Police are at the door...

My wok is 27 years old (wedding present) carbon steel, always lightly oiled before being put away.
We got our Ken Hon in 1987, his Chinese Cookery book came free, both still going strong.

You need a 1970's Nan..... "I got all that black muck off your new frying pan"
Reminds me of when I was given the job of cleaning the pans after a weekend exercise. I used the method in post #8 but with Vim and Scotchbrite on the sanding disc. Took two days but I got all the black off.

Chef wasn't happy on the next weekend away.

(I used the same technique when I was given the Mess silver to polish but used fine wire wool and toothpaste instead. I did try removing the scratches with newspaper but it wasn't much of a success. Fortunately, I transferred out before the silver was used again).

endure

GCM
My wok is 27 years old (wedding present) carbon steel, always lightly oiled before being put away. It is jet black and nothing sticks. There is a Chinese saying. The blacker the wok, the better the cook.

Blogg

LE
Get it sand or bead blasted.

Otherwise wire wheel on drill, flap wheel, abrasive sheet/elbow grease for the fiddly bits and wonder why you even started.

I will ask the wife

Shes managed it on every ******* pan in the house
I have to tell mine not to use metal spoons and similar to stir the food in a non stick pan. Why can they not understand it?

I have to tell mine not to use metal spoons and similar to stir the food in a non stick pan. Why can they not understand it?
Ive bought all plastic and wooden spoons , spatulas and fish slices - the only metal spoons are those,( kept in a seperate cupboard and not in the kitchen by the by ) we use to eat with and if youre female go out of your way to get and stir the non stick pans.

Im rude Grumpy and unpleasant - pointing out if i was not perhaps objecting to you doing the same things several times a day for 13 years my grumpiness may perhaps be mitigated has yet to yield results

I think we can all relate to Shane here

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Non stick woks are oxymorons especially when proper woks are available at your local Chinese supermarket for a tenner.
The Chinese supermarket in the small rural village in the Lake District where I was camping happened to be closed that day.

Had to resort to whatever I could get from Aldi in town.

Boxy

GCM
Exactly the same here, everything Teflon coated has scratches on it, Breville Toasted Sandwich included, no matter how many times is point it out.

yesterday was a prime example, Parasite was using a metal fish slice on a Teflon wok...

Oh, I didn’t know says she
What you didn’t know that was Non Stick and that was metal?
Oh I forgot...

Roll on her moving out...

endure

GCM
The Chinese supermarket in the small rural village in the Lake District where I was camping happened to be closed that day.

Had to resort to whatever I could get from Aldi in town.

Calm down dear. I was only pointing out that a 'proper' wok is better and usually cheaper than a non stick one.

She was talking of sandblasting,
The Emperor himself recommended sand shotblasting for our three cast iron hob grates and six burner caps. The chap at Shotblasting was either working for E.M. or paying him commission. Of course sir, we do hundreds of these things every week, they be as good as new, trust me.

From 'unevenly discoloured' to ‘watch them all go rusty in minutes' for only a few tenners. Cheers E.M.

What is says on the tin.
Heavy duty stainless steel frying pan, part of a set, just starting to show a bit of wear.
Nice pan don't want to sling it
Anybody done it or have a clue of the best way.
Steep it in Harpic - it will lift it off.

Small tip - anything rusty you want the rust off - drop it in Harpic and it will strip the rust back to bare metal in about thirty minutes.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Late eighties, my boss did a Kirkz and pulled a really old heavy frying pan out of a skip it was obviously really high quality but rusty as.
Sent it off to be shotblasted but failed to agree a price.
He was shocked to be told it was £25.00.
To give you an idea I was earning about £50.00 a week at the time.

Last edited:
Ive done lots of pans, there are hundreds that get thrown out when the non stick starts flaking off, ive never bought a pan yet , I use a paint stripping abrasive disk then a fine abrasive mop. I did some Tefal Stainless induction hob pans a couple of weeks ago , turned out fine, I'm using them now.

IMG_20200609_175235.jpg

Latest Threads