Removing Lynix

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by wompingwillow, Jul 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any idea how you go about removing Lynix from an EEE PC, a complete long shot but thanks in advance for any advice

2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Assuming you have an install CD for another Operating System (Windoze ...) you should be able to boot directly from it, format the hard disk and then install your new OS. That will get rid of your Linux.

The only gotcha I can see is that there may not be drivers for the new OS for your EEE. This may mean stuff like unusual keyboard layouts, power management, etc don't work as expected.

3. cheers for that will give it ago tomorrow, the biggest problem with having Lynix is the fact it isn't supported by BT so can't get on line ( wireless or otherwise) at anyones house who has a BT hub

4. Cheers, I had it and used it with our Virgin WIFI and it worked just fine, however I sold it on so I could get a Advent 4211 and I'm now getting greif from the family member I sold it too as they can't get it to upload windows xp or work with their BT Hub.

5. There are Atheos drivers available for Linux and Windows for the Eee PC range - the home hub shouldnt care what wifi card is on the laptop or what OS it is working to, as long as it functions correctly and is correctly configured. Having said that, wireless networking in Linux isnt as plug and play as with windows.

I'm assuming that you have an external CD drive for the EEE PC (i dont think there's one built in), all you have to do is get the system to boot from that with the windows disk inserted. Follow the on screen prompts, delete the existing disk partition (doesnt matter that the EEE PC is a solid state disk), create a new partition and install. Simple really however wont make a blind bit of difference if the wireless card in the lappy is fcuked.

6. Don't think so. I have the Linux version £200 job and it works totally OK with my BT wireless.
    If you bought the eec other than in the back room of a pub, you will have the manuals and guides.. Procedure to downgrade to winXP in the "Windows XP Installation Guide" booklet E3606