Removing floor tile adhesive

Have you tried paying a professional you tight git?

Turps? Surgical spirit?

Isn't Mr Bane up your way................. he'd be able to help.
He PM'd me, he suggested pouring a well know solvent over it - like petrol - and inspecting it closely with a match.

PS. When did the Glesga Polis start wearing a purple cloak?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have you tried paying a professional you tight git?
The professionals are claiming that whilst they can lay new carpet and lino, they can't remove old stuff.

Already lifted 2 carpets the day.

Am lifting some vinyl floor tiles from utility room.
Adhesive is very sticky.

The floor underneath is chipboard.

Sensible suggestions as to how to remove it?

It's like walking on a giant glue trap at minute.
Just put old newspaper on top of it - it's thin and will stick to the glue, no need to remove it.

You can't see the tears and her saying " please let me stop daddy my hands are bleeding "

" shut up and keep chiseling "
Love how she is keeping the chisel safe under her knee. I think she needs a bigger hammer though.

@Fang_Farrier,
According to google, whether you need adhesive for a vinyl floor depends on the size of the room and the thickness of the vinyl. If the vinyl is thin, then it would be best to stick it down all over. If it is a thicker vinyl and the utility room is not too big, then it should not need sticking down apart from around the edges.
If the chipboard (and adhesive) are level enough to lay the lino onto, get tiny miss F to finish lifting the current floor up and leave it for the professionals.

Bit of a radical thought, phone the fitters up and see what they say. :p

There is a possibility that if you are laying lino or something similar, the old adhesive may eventually penetrate the material and show through it thus rendering your new floor a complete waste of time and money.

It’s either got to come up or be covered with something that It definitely won’t be able to penetrate.

Probably the quickest and possibly best solution would be to just lay some 6mm ply on the top of it.

Trust me. I lifted some ancient horrible looking green tiles from our kitchen floor once. They had been down for years and the adhesive holding them down was in a dry condition when I took the tiles up. It was a concrete floor.

We laid a cream coloured lino with a pattern in it on the now bare floor on top of the donkeys years old completely dry adhesive.

Within a month, the old adhesive had penetrated the new lino and was grinning through it completely spoiling our kitchen floor.

Buy some ply. If your new floor needs to be fixed down, it will stick to the ply!

How old are the tiles you are lifting, since they could contain asbestos?

If post 1990s age then you should be OK.

Asbestos - Floor tiles, textiles and composites

This one has a process of removing asbestos glue but I suppose it could be adapted for asbestos free stuff:

but here are some other options.

The other option could have been to lay a levelling screed over the glue.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

If post 1990s age then you should be OK.

Asbestos - Floor tiles, textiles and composites

This one has a process of removing asbestos glue but I suppose it could be adapted for asbestos free stuff:

but here are some other options.

The other option could have been to lay a levelling screed over the glue.
House was built in 1999 (not by ourselves) so should be safe from that point of view

Won't be an issue unless you're grinding them off. The asbestos just needs to remain encapsulated.

If grinding off, get it done by someone over 60. It usually takes about 20 years to die of asbestosis.

Won't be an issue unless you're grinding them off. The asbestos just needs to remain encapsulated.

If grinding off, get it done by someone over 60. It usually takes about 20 years to die of asbestosis.
True, asbestos bound in glue and PVC tiles is fine when left alone and the least risk when removing. But it's better to be aware than not.

I remember sitting in seminars and reading about the dangers of asbestos when the warnings were 'one speck can kill'.

And given it takes asbestosis 20 years to develop, if the job's nearby I may have done it for a few quid.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
You're fooling no-one, even with the Piers Morgan-style faked pictures.

This is a failed dental fixative experiment, isn't it?

Latest Threads