Removing Exif Data on uploaded pictures

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by viceroy, Dec 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think this is worth a consideration. It can be quite tedious to impossible to remove metadata once it has been attached to a picture, particularly so with smartphones and similar GPS enabled devices. Rather than all of this being made available to the casual viewer, could the site not remove all exif data upon uploading and let the poster add what he / she wants? I am not going to enter the debate on Op- and Persec, most of us are old enough to know what not to post. I thought this would be a way to make sure it does not lead to publishing of information one might want to keep private, it does happen rather quickly if a pic is uploaded from a smartphone to a pic threat and the geotagging on the phone isn't disabled. Thank you for your consideration.
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I actually thought it did but will look in to it as I agree that it is not ideal. Are you talking about the gallery or attachments in the forums? Actually, you don't need to answer that - I'll stop being lazy and check!
  3. For me predominantly the former, but I would apply it across if feasible, incl. the latter.
    As for whether the site already does it or not, I uploaded a pic from my phone and then downloaded to my pc from the website a few weeks ago. Upon opening it on my pc, the exif data (at least GPS coordinates) were still included.
  4. Most editing software allows you to 'minimise EXIF data' when saving a JPEG or PNG file.
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I actually thought I told you not to. How else may we track the uploader to where they live?

Report to my office at 07.00. Jesus. Is there no end to it?
  6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

certainly stripped all the info out of a test attachment I just made, other than JPEG tech stuff like compression. Can you give an example with EXIF in tact?
  7. Would the same apply if uploaded through e.g. iphone app? This pic contains the full load of info my end.

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

So it does. And it looks a bit like a fat bird's arse in profile. Why not, right... not post pics that are directly linked to your personal social media sites from your mobbie? That might work Derek. How's the dog? Is your Mum still feeding it for you?

Fat Birds Arse.JPG
  9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

No EXIF data except some colour space info in those flower pictures.
  10. Ok thanks, good to know. This change was probably adopted in the meanwhile.
  11. This_Tribe_Rob

This_Tribe_Rob Sponsor