removing ball point pen marks from a wall.

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Fang_Farrier, Jul 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

We now have some wonderful ball pen marks on a wall curtisy of a 4 year old visitor.

Wall is paint over lining paper. As the walls were painted before we moved in a couple of years ago we don't have any of matching paint to mask it.

Any sensible clues as to how to remove the marks?

( obviously been around ARRSE too long when you have to stipulate "sensible"!)
  2. 1, Pop down to B&Q or similar store and look around the cleaning dept, they may have a spray or similar to remove ink.

2, Buy a tin of paint* similar to what's on the walls at the moment and do a repaint.

3, If the lining papers is damaged, buy some more and patch it in and repaint, B&Q do a idiot guide on redecorating as 2 above.

4, Check house insurance, if you are covered for (accidental?) damage and claim and have it done profesionally.

*You may need to use a stain cover type paint first.
  3. on cars :)
  4. yes biro being oil based will simply come through any paint you put over the top. You can get a tin of spray paint from a diy shop and spray to cover the marks (cant remeber what its called) . the spray will stop the biro coming through but you will need to repaint im afraid
  5. Try washing it with soapy water and a sponge. It works on the Biro marks our little darlings occasionally make, when some 'divvy' leaves one lying about... That, and careful use of Cif/Jif for the tough ones.
  6. Try blotting some shaving foam on the stain. Leave for 10 minutes and remove with a clean cloth. Then gently rub with toothpaste.

Try the shaving foam on a 'hidden' bit of wall first, wait the 10 mins and after wiping off check it hasn't stained.

It sounds odd, but shaving foam has traces of alcohol and toothpaste is a mild abrasive.

Then send a bill to the budding Rolf Harris.
  7. I'm sure you can get biro erazers, or used to.
  8. Is it silk or matt paint? Silk is a bit more robust to deal with but rubbing gently with methylated sprits works

The toothpaste idea, or weak Cif cream should work too as both are mild abrasives
  9. As mentioned Cif cream. We use it on all my boys 'artwork'. Brilliant stuff.

I have my dads old kit from when he was a draftsman, There is an eraser which is a kind of clear dark blue made by staedler, it removes ink.
  10. Brake fluid might well do the trick on biro ink. God knows what it'll do to the paint though....

If you do try it, don't use much or leave it on too long!
  11. Echo above re meths to remove the ink, if the paper is indented you can try to lift it with some steam from an iron. Little by little a bit at a time. You're not stripping the wallpaper mind.
  12. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Meths sometimes works, lighter petrol sometimes works. Residual stain can often be removed by rubbing gently with a little talcum powder made into a paste with water.

If it won't come out and you have to redecorate do a coat of gloss over the area to seal the ink in, when dry (48 hours) rub with wet n dry to key the surface then paint the wall as usual.
  13. Not sure about biro marks but sugar soap gets skidmarks off the wall a treat. Hope this helps.
  14. Its goosed beyond repair, only one thing for it I'm afraid.