Removing a pre-paid electric meter, who to contact?

I'm moving into a new house (hopefully) within the next month.
On an inspection today we have found that the property has a pre-paid meter in which we weren't expecting as it had had been privately owned by a lady for the past 30 years .
Anyhow, given I don't want to come over as a poverty stricken, welfare dependant prole, I just want to know how easy it is to get this removed as I want to switch to a new energy provider when I move in.
In particular, whose responsibility is it to get this meter deactivated. The old 'leccy provider or the new one?

Also, any recommendations for a combined energy provider (gas and electric) would be much appreciated as the ones being recommended on comparison sites get a mauling on services like Trustpilot and I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of clowns just because I save £100 a year.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Call the electric company of your choice. Tell them you want their electricity, but not on the pre-pay meter that's installed. They come and change it over.

I had this recently.
Account news to be a month old.
You need to pass a credit check.
Get the ******* thing gone ASAP cos its expensive and a pain in the arrse!!

pull incoming fuse, bypass prepaid meter by placing tails in henly block,

vola, free electricity & no pesky meter reading chap coming around...

Just switched to EDF from Ovo as they came out cheaper. But +1 for Ovo.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Some companies charge for replacing a pre-paid meter with a standard meter. One of my daughters was stung for 66 quid by N-power when she had her meters changed.

cent05zr70

On ROPS
On ROPs
pull incoming fuse, bypass prepaid meter by placing tails in henly block,

vola, free electricity & no pesky meter reading chap coming around...
Tee Hee. Many moons ago l bought a house which had been empty for several years, to do up. Lighting and cooking were Calor gas, which was OK, but no power tools. One day a 'leccy board man tips up to read the meter. He said he'd have to send someone round to remove the BFO main fuse. I said you do it, l'm not here very often. Can't he said, no tools. No probs quoth I, here you are. So he did, He couldn't seal the box though. Winner.
I finished the job in about a year, all with free power. Did l feel guilty? Second word's off.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Tee Hee. Many moons ago l bought a house which had been empty for several years, to do up. Lighting and cooking were Calor gas, which was OK, but no power tools. One day a 'leccy board man tips up to read the meter. He said he'd have to send someone round to remove the BFO main fuse. I said you do it, l'm not here very often. Can't he said, no tools. No probs quoth I, here you are. So he did, He couldn't seal the box though. Winner.
I finished the job in about a year, all with free power. Did l feel guilty? Second word's off.
Thats theft and very very naughty

cent05zr70

On ROPS
On ROPs
I know.
Love it.

I'm moving into a new house (hopefully) within the next month.
On an inspection today we have found that the property has a pre-paid meter in which we weren't expecting as it had had been privately owned by a lady for the past 30 years .
Anyhow, given I don't want to come over as a poverty stricken, welfare dependant prole, I just want to know how easy it is to get this removed as I want to switch to a new energy provider when I move in.
In particular, whose responsibility is it to get this meter deactivated. The old 'leccy provider or the new one?

Also, any recommendations for a combined energy provider (gas and electric) would be much appreciated as the ones being recommended on comparison sites get a mauling on services like Trustpilot and I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of clowns just because I save £100 a year.
Any company you go with will fit you a smart meter for free, as they are trying to get everybody to have a smart
meter fitted

Any company you go with will fit you a smart meter for free, as they are trying to get everybody to have a smart
meter fitted
Not a smart meter, a pre-paid meter. Its a different thing.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Are smart meters any good? My electric bill last month was £175.
They are just a meter, but as ever the energy companies are up to all sorts of schemes to rip you off, "free" installs etc for which you end up paying over the odds per unit etc