Remote Control - The Future of Warfare??

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Bad CO, Oct 31, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I refer you to my previous post

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I'm reminded of a Star Trek Original Series episode, A Taste Of Armageddon.

Kirk et al land on a civilised, technologically quite advanced planet. A klaxon goes off and a million people, including them, get sent to the incinerator (or something).

The planet is at war with another planet in the system, it's gone on forever and the two sides have agreed that, rather than actually glass cities in the target planet, the opponents' computers wargame the war and mutually agree when when a city gets "nuked", rather than destroy the city, it's inhabitants walk away to be offed efficiently.

Kirk and crew explain to them the futility of this and that it's because of it that neither side has ever sought a mutually satisfactory peace.

3. A thinly satirised description of Mutually Assured Destruction, taken to a logical extreme, and without damaging the property values.

It does, however, require two equally technologically advanced enemies, with identical offensive capabilities. If one side had real missiles, and the other was still firing simulations, guess which side wins?

The perverse thinking is that we think that the use of Guided weapons is superior to unguided, as they are more specific, and reduce collateral damage to the enemy civil population, but we think it acceptable to risk the life of a pilot, and not reduce the collateral risk to him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. This gives an 'insider' view of the US drone program, although i've not had chance to see it myself yet.

'National Bird' shines light on secretive drone wars
    The convoy had stopped for prayers in a Taliban stronghold in southern Afghanistan when the Hellfire missiles came out of a clear blue sky, incinerating vehicles and liquidating 23 unarmed civilians.

The February 2010 attack, involving US drone operators who were later described as "inaccurate and unprofessional" in a military investigation, fueled the growing outcry over America's rapidly expanding drone wars.​

The personnel who mistook the travelers for insurgents had been analyzing Predator drone footage from Creech Air Force Base in Nevada, directing a remote-control massacre thousands of miles from the victims.

They reported that they could see only military-age men in the three vehicles but several of the dead and wounded turned out to be women in brightly-colored civilian clothing and their children.

The incident, and what it reveals about America's secretive drone program, is the subject of "National Bird," a disturbing documentary released in US theaters on November 11.

Read more: 'National Bird' shines light on secretive drone wars