Reminiscence of Funeral Duty--Pretty Sobering

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Mar 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a rather thoughtful story of a retired USMC officer who had a distinguished career with a lot of close combat experience and it gives a good insight as to what it was like during the Vietnam War era.

2. thats f.u.c.k.e.d. up my saturday night feeling
  3. Sorry-not intended.
  4. It reminds me a great del of the letters from Nam, ranging from recruits to lifers, it sounded horrid and as for the US public turning their backs on the vets, it made me feel really sad. UK indifference is a lot less than the open hostility that greated the vets on their return. :x
  5. Longlenny

Longlenny War Hero Book Reviewer

Thank you JJH. That is how I feel the lads who were in NI are treated and forgotten. Life's a bitch ain't it?
  6. The latter part of the title is very appropriate.
    Definitely food for thought.
  7. JJH, have you read Final Salute? Follows a US Marine Maj. with the same duty for the fallen from Iraq. Compelling reading.
  8. It must be the worst duty possible for the personnel involved. In my civilian job I have had to do that sort of thing occasionaly but it must be far worse when it is one of your own who dies.

The worst I had was telling a man that both his daughter and mother had burned to death in a fire. Paramedics had to sedate the poor man and bring him to hospital. The fire was arson, set by a man angry at their landlord. About a year later I got a call that the evil bastard who had set the fire had been convicted on two counts of murder and got two life, no parole, sentences. There were tears running down my cheeks on that phone call. That sort of thing is bad enough, doing that when one of your own is killed must be far, far worse.
  9. Acting as Casualty Assistance Officer was one of the hardest jobs I ever did. I was done after my tour.
  10. Incredibly moving
  11. Compelling reading, JJH.
  12. I bought "Taking Chance" at one of the PXs at Camp Victory / Liberty (I forget the divide). Much reduced, just something to watch on the flight home. I eventually managed to watch more than the first couple of scenes once I was on POTL, with the help of several bottles of wine and being back with my wife.

I really wouldn't want to do the notification job.
  13. Funny you mention that as that is exactly what I was thinking as I posted this. I recall such an atmosphere in the 1970s when I was on exchange with the RMs.
  14. I have-it dredged up way too many painful memories of my own as I was a CACO when the Marine Barracks was attacked in 1983--I had 13 calls to make in Virginia alone.

Another pretty good dramatization of this sad but important duty is in Taking Chance HomeLinky. The movie captures the dignity with which these officers go about their duties.
  15. Thanks for your service.