Remington Model 700 rifle. Deadly in more ways than you might expect.

The thread "I just fucking shot myself" led me to search the internet for some information I had previously seen on telly as an hourlong documentary. This news item is just over a year old but still valid.

If any ARRSEr owns - or knows anyone who owns - a Remington 700, kindly pass this along to them and possibly save a limb or a life.

Press Release - Remington 700 Rifles Pose Dangerous Risk to Consumers

A Remington engineer sussed out the problem decades ago and notified management, but they refused to take proper action. It was estimated that at the time the "fix" would have cost less then $1 per rifle.

-------------------

As an interesting aside to one of the court cases, a Remington factory engineer was in the witness box and handed the exhibit (rifle). In an effort to impress the jury as to the safety of the weapon, he worked the bolt and it dry fired.

He certainly did impress the jury with that display.

This Rifle has been out for eons and it's the first I've ever heard of it........ but 'feckin hell!'

Why didn't this fact/rumour get spread by the users?.....also, I can't say that I've heard of many alleged ND's with this weapon.

It is estimated that over five million Americans still own a Remington M700 or M710 rifle with the defective Walker Fire Control System. Despite reports in the national media about the dangerousness of these rifles -- including a 2001 investigation by the CBS Evening News -- Remington still has not issued a consumer recall, or public warning of the defective guns.

Even a flurry of legal action and several high profile lawsuits have not encouraged the gun manufacturer to recall the rifles. After a $17 million jury verdict against Remington in 1994, the company has been settling legal claims with those who have been injured by the gun instead of risking another big jury award. These include two recent settlements negotiated by Kansas-City based law firm Monsees Miller Mayer Presley & Amick in the amounts of $250,000 and $1.425 million. One of the firm's partners, Rich Miller, has been instrumental in settling dozens of lawsuits against Remington for harm caused by M700 and M710 rifles.
I'm shocked, the 700 is damn near iconic, Remington deserves to go bust.

There was a rumour of this way back in the 1980s, that's why I went Parker Hale 1200 instead of a 700, in 82

Unlike other consumer products, however, guns are not subject to federal health and safety regulations, meaning that the federal government is powerless to issue consumer warnings and/or recall defective firearms.
So let me get this right. The US government has less power to force a recall of badly-designed firearms than it has badly-designed Barbie dolls?

So let me get this right. The US government has less power to force a recall of badly-designed firearms than it has badly-designed Barbie dolls?
Well if "We the People" decide to tell the US govt to go shit in it,s hat what are they gonna do, elections coming,stay loose guys and keep our seats.

Well if "We the People" decide to tell the US govt to go shit in it,s hat what are they gonna do, elections coming,stay loose guys and keep our seats.
I get that bit. I don't get that they're happier to have government rush in to stop their kids choking on a teddy-bear's eye than they are to have it stop them blowing their brains out with a defective small-arm.

Well, yes, that's the way it is. And it makes no sense whatsoever.

I get that bit. I don't get that they're happier to have government rush in to stop their kids choking on a teddy-bear's eye than they are to have it stop them blowing their brains out with a defective small-arm.
COMMUNIST!

They'll give up their guns when they fall out of their unexpectedly cold dead hands, a look of great surprise etched on to their cold dead faces, and not before.

Wasn't the Remington 700 the vietnam snipers rifle?

Gadge

Wasn't the Remington 700 the vietnam snipers rifle?

Gadge
Still is.

In the USMC it's known as the M40 Series.
In the US Army it's the M24

I've used the M24 many times since it first came on issue and have never seen or heard of such an design flaw in the safety/trigger.

Of course one method to ensure you dont shoot your infant is not to point it at him in the first place before loading unloading, but thats just me I guess.

Still is.

In the USMC it's known as the M40 Series.
In the US Army it's the M24

I've used the M24 many times since it first came on issue and have never seen or heard of such an design flaw in the safety/trigger.
Could that be because Marine Corps and Army armourers worked the rifles over before issuing them to the troops? As I recall from the documentary on telly, there were a number of police agencies who also experienced unanticipated discharges.

Could that be because Marine Corps and Army armourers worked the rifles over before issuing them to the troops? As I recall from the documentary on telly, there were a number of police agencies who also experienced unanticipated discharges.
I understood that the weapons were 'accurized' before issue - though whether or not that included a new trigger, I'm not sure. Off-the-shelf American rifles tend to have very heavy trigger pulls - legend has it that it is intended to minimise lawsuits over the results of NDs, though that may be a myth.

First rule of gun club: never point a loaded weapon at someone
Second rule of gun club: NEVER POINT A LOADED WEAPON AT SOMEONE

Defect or not, a gun shouldn't be pointing at something it's not intended to shoot. Where there any/many injuries from this defect?

Remngton aren't the most ethical of manufacturers, they have pulled a couple of stunts over the years in order to keep the profits up.
Though, as has been said, I hadn't heard of this particular flaw.

The M24 comes straight from Remington to Army stocks. No Specialized Armorer work is done to it and any major depot level repairs go straight to Remington. The only thing neccessary upon issue is to paint it to suit environment and decide which optic to mount. If using the M1907 sling to Oil and stretch it for use. Many of the New "B4's" done even use the 1907. AFAIK the M24 uses the Walker trigger unit in question. But I've never had an ND nor heard of one with the M24 or with any of the Civilian Model 700's friends have (even god help us the Dale Earnhart commemoritive in .30-06 that one friend owns). Now the Remington 770 is a Piece of shit, even the Bolt shroud is plastic along with the safety.

The USMC has Armorers who tweak the M40 to suit. In fact those Armorers can make an M40 receiver in their own shops and have made specialzed versions.