Remington Accutip Sabot Slugs

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Gassing_Badgers, Jan 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone (probably outside UK!) have ballistic trajectory data for the above?

I'm guessing they'll be like Hornady SST, in that if I zero at 25yds, they should be right at about 150yds?

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You could ask this question on an US or Canuck forum such as canadiangunnuts. Let us know how you get on!

3. No data, but I have shot with them. They are spectacularly destructive and so much fun you need to wear a condom.

4. Lots of stuff on Remingtons own site. Anyone know the uk legal position on usage. Remington say that they are accurate out to 200yds and sort out most deer I suspect.

5. You are unlikely to get authority to despatch deer unless you get a rifled barrel and declare it as a 12g Rifled slug barrel. You may get permission to hold and zero for use abroad on driven game. You will (and I know this from first hand experience) turn a deer inside-out if you shoot one with a sabot slug. They are unsuitable and lack the accuracy expected from a humane deer stalker.

6. Fired from a comparatively light gun (i.e. my Mossberg), they are also somewhat destructive to the shoulder! After a 10-round practice the other day, I felt like I'd just gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson...enough at least to persuade me to invest in a Limbsaver recoil pad!

Like you said, they're not really suitable for stalking as we would know in the UK - but in close wooded country, and using a rifled barrel with a decent sight, they should be more than good enough to take a deer cleanly.

I'm guessing that in the UK - and without a section 5 - the only thing you could shoot them from would be a bolt or single-shot slug gun with rifled barrel. As far as rifled slug barrels goes, why a 10-round bolt action (which could in theory be a straight pull) is ok when a 3-round pump-action is not can only be described as symptomatic of our 'confused' gun laws.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If you can get acceptable accuracy from the smooth bore barrel then despatch of deer within the law is ok, there are occaisions when use of slugs is thhe best option. I wouldnt however recommend their use on anything smaller than Fallow as Roe are really quite small in comparisom and with .22 cenbtrefire being accpetable in scotland then a slug will smash it somewhat akin to hitting a person with an 84 round!
    The occaisions that spring to mind are licensed clearance from enclosedd growing crops and despatch of wounded deer!
    I'd check deer law and liabilities for chapter and verse but I would be comfortable on the verge of the A22 taking a wounded one from an RTA if thats all I had!

8. Thanks for that - however, I'm currently living in the US, in a predominantly 'slug only' state.

Luckily this means it's perfectly legal for me to own a rifled slug barrel for my Mossberg, which makes the sabot option very accurate (in comparison to a smoothbore firing rifled slugs, that is!). The Whitetail here are a reasonable size, so I don't expect to ruin too much of my venison.

...mmmm...venison!

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok there is a thread on Canadiangunnuts about a lad who has 300 yard accuracy for his rifled slug gun, its a savage bolt action but it seems to be deadly accurate, If I can find the thread I'll put up a link!

10. It's relative, because to some people the fact the deer dies is all the accuracy they desire in the States (especially the trophy hunters). I have seen a picture of a 'texas heartshot' from one of these sabots, and the deer is picassoesque in its arrangement of organs and limbs.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

7 and 3/4 inch group at 300 yards using winchester slugs.

12. Not for me that accuracy on deer; especially with it's rainbow trajectory. I doubt that translates reliably to a meat-saving shot in the field.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Still has more ME than 45 70 and as long as you know the distance and the cartridge with the right scope there is no real difference between the slug at 300 yards and the .30 cal at 600 plus!

14. Fair one! It stings enough out of a bolt-action Mossberg, that's for sure!

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The Canadian chap was open and honest about it not being a "I can prove that slugs do take deer at x yards" thread. He wanted to know how good his rig was. When I posted the pics on here I was teasing but most didnt realise it was a slug gun!