Remington 597

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Arrse_onist, Apr 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello wise ones.

Im looking at a .22LR semi-automatic rifle for target shooting and possibly rabbits. I quite fancy a synthetic stock so have been looking at the Remington 597...

Does anybody have any experience with this rifle? or can anybody offer a similarly priced alternative?

2. Yuppers. We bought one last year as a club gun for noobs, and have a lot of happy about it.

It likes the cheaper end of the ammunition scale - we shoot GECO standard in it with absolutely no problems so far - almost a year - but it does work on subs as well.

It's great value for money, even in this country where you get right-royally ripped off. Back over in the real world - Septicaemia - you can buy the rifle, a reasonable scope and a brick of 500 for about half what you pay for it here.

As such, there is NO similarly-priced alternative in any new .22 semi-auto.

3. Thanks Plunderer, ive read that the 597's main rival is the Ruger 10/22 but they are about double the price on GunStar! Ive just joined a club in Notts and i think they have a 597, i will get hands on and see how it feels.
  4. Another competitor to the Remington is the Savage model 64 - I bought one, and very pleased with it.