Remington 597 or Savage 64

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Gassing_Badgers, Dec 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm thinking about investing in a little .22" semi-auto for plinking and critter-whacking. Both of the above options are available as offers in a store near me, packaged with 4x32 scopes (the one on the Remington is slightly better) for around the equivalent of £120.

Not considered a Ruger 10/22 at the moment - they seem like nice rifles, but I'm a tightwad!

Any opinions?

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

When you consider that in The States you can pick up a bog standard 10-22 for about $120 US at the home of the folks who own asda then you will realise what a cheap junker it is.

3. Guess where I am at the moment! ;-)

A basic 10/22 is more like $240 at the moment, even somewhere like Walmart.

On the other hand, a scoped Remington 597 or Savage 64 is closer to $170 ($140 during sales). You can pick up a Marlin even cheaper - closer to $120.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

What about savage, damn fine rifles?

5. That's what I was considering (model 64 GXP) - but a Remington 597 is also the same price.

I've heard reports that the Savage is better build quality...but not sure if anyone had some first-hand experience?

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I bought a Savage .17HMR left handed for my nipper, no issues at all.
    Edited to add the importers are changing and Savage will be imported through Edgar Brothers who are to Customer service what Hitler was to race relations!

7. Thanks - looks like I might go Savage then.

Just the minor matter of persuading 0A that I need a new toy!

8. There are plenty of other alternatives, here are some examples from egun:

eGun

eGun

eGun

eGun

I've shot with the Erma, Anschutz (not found on Egun) and the Krico (Kriegskorte). The compact Erma was probably the most fun and was trouble free and not fussy about ammo. The Anschutz didn't like sub sonic rounds. The Krico was probably the best build standard although the unseen Voere, to go by other rifles from the maker, is probably a sound investment as well. CZ also offer one but it's quite expensive at Frankonia's site.

9. Thanks for that, but my current locstat means that most of the European rifles are comparatively rare imports, and it's so easy to pick up a new cheap American-made rifle from the local sports store.