Remembrance Sunday

Why does it seem that every year, more and more units (either Regular or Reserves) are on exercise over Remembrance Sunday?
You would think that with what the day is for that it would be kept clear in the training calendar so that it has a full representation of the Armed Forces, rather than just a token effort (with the exception of the parade in London).

Boxy

GCM
Limited time in the training calendar with X amount of things that need to be done?

I get exactly where you’re coming from and totally agree, the day itself and the Sunday should be ring fenced and sacrosanct

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
We used to parade on the Friday night, any outstanding annual tests. Eg weapon handling, first aid etc were done on the Saturday morning.

Saturday afternoon was drill practice in readiness for the Remembrance Day parade on the Sunday.

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm currently posted to a training unit. We are using the weekend to achieve some Training Objectives.

Drill (on Sat).
Realities of War.

And doing a proper job of the parade too.

My lot always has exercising troops either deployed or deploying over the weekend so the numbers attending are limited

Norwich Council need exercising the barstewards, they’ve in their wisdom to cancel the Armistice day parade and made it invite only!
Mustn’t have crowds mixing in case of COVID…….but Norwich City FC can have a full ground! Hypocrite’s!!!:mad:

Why does it seem that every year, more and more units (either Regular or Reserves) are on exercise over Remembrance Sunday?
You would think that with what the day is for that it would be kept clear in the training calendar so that it has a full representation of the Armed Forces, rather than just a token effort (with the exception of the parade in London).

You can lose one weekend to an exercise over remembrance or you can lose two weekends.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Armistice Day 2021 in the UK is Thursday 11th November.
And the 2nd Sunday in November, which is the day of the traditional parade, is the 14th.

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
Walked up to the checkout in my local Co-op yesterday looking for the RBL tin to make a contribution. I noticed it at the empty checkout on the right amongst two or three other charity tins and duly inserted a coin. On turning to bag my stuff I noticed a tray prominently positioned containing slightly odd-looking white poppies. I asked the girl what they were doing there as opposed to the red ones, and she opined that, "They are the original ones. The red ones didn't come out till 1948!"

I left rather abruptly after putting her right, but wtaf! I mean, how did she learn that?

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
And since I'm here, I found this rather good animation.

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wheel

LE
I turned up at the War Memorial Valletta Malta at 11:00 hrs today . Only two hours old boys there suited and booted. I silently paid my respects and toddled off.

Norwich Council need exercising the barstewards, they’ve in their wisdom to cancel the Armistice day parade and made it invite only!
Mustn’t have crowds mixing in case of COVID…….but Norwich City FC can have a full ground! Hypocrite’s!!!:mad:
Look, it's Norfolk. They'll be high sixing and congratulating themselves on protecting each other from Asian Flu. :cool:

Countryboy

Old-Salt
Seriously? There isn't anything official bout crowds outside mixing is there?

Have a good one lads.

The mayor of the village where the 4(F) Wing cenotaph was relocated to after the base was closed also cancelled the ceremony there on Thursday. After she found out that we leftovers, as well as some active duty RCAF were going to just coincidently going to be all at the cenotaph at 11:00 for some reason, she decided that perhaps she should show up after all...

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Do villages have Mayors ? If so Im re signing as village idiot and putting my name doown for Lord Mare.

Nice photo posted by Guido Fawkes, following the announcement that HMQ would be unable to attend due to a sprained back. Wishing her a speedy recovery
young-queen-at-cenotaph.jpg

Queen Not Attending Cenotaph Remembrance Sunday Service

In the comments I found a link to this excellent video:

Last edited:

Latest Threads