Remembrance Sunday for the ex-Serving - Do you go on parade and if so why?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by postman_twit, Nov 3, 2011.

?

I parade because.....

Poll closed Nov 10, 2011.
  1. It's the decent thing to do.

33 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. To honour the Unknown Warrior.

12 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. To honour the family you never met.

13 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. To show your mates that they will never be forgotten.

53 vote(s)
    57.0%
  5. A good tradition to pass on to your children.

19 vote(s)
    20.4%
  6. It's a chance to polish off your bling and blag a pint.

15 vote(s)
    16.1%
  7. It's a chance to get bladdered and swing the lantern.

13 vote(s)
    14.0%
  8. To quietly pay my respects and head of home.

37 vote(s)
    39.8%
  9. Its a chance to Walt and cause outrage on Arrse.

7 vote(s)
    7.5%
  10. It's a chance to wear Grandad's Iron Cross!

7 vote(s)
    7.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It may well be my imagination but there seems to have been an up turn in the numbers of people attending Remembrance Parades over the past decade or so. When we were in it was a 3 line whip but what makes YOU attend now you're a doddery old git?

You can tick as many of the options as you'd like. I fully expect at least one of you to tick nine out of the ten!

2. RESPECT for our fallen, past and present, wherever they may be.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I get a chance to dust off my bling, pay some respects, and have a few beers. I usually go to the cenotaph, and once in a while I'll bump into someone I've not seen for a few years and get on it.

4. What Tom said.

5. respect for the fallen.

6. I have to say that there are a couple of those options that I'd vote for equally.

• Like Like x 1
  7. See my edit. You were too quick for me Smudge!

8. Queers, so your saying not one of you goes to finger the Widows?

• Like Like x 1
  9. You crack on mate!!!

10. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Stand around with aged parent. Get cold, wet, look at at smug self serving arsehole councillors (times like that I respect the shinners when they don't turn up. I understand their shame and embarrassment after all their armed wing blew one of these up) and then off round the corner for a pint and a bowl of stew. It upsets the bar staff to see me properly dressed and still having a good time. There is always one asks parent where he got the medals,he then regales them with tales of whatever book he happens to be reading, Hes done WW1, the Indian Mutiny and Vietnam I've been trying to get him to read Biggles sometimes it's just too easy.
    But it's always a cold bitter day.

11. I don't need your permision! :)

12. To remember my mates (yes I did have a couple) who are no longer here.

13. Kids i tell then the truth ' Naffi line out, Washing my knicks under fire etc
    Parents whatever comes to mind
    Mind you its better now than it was 5 years ago, at least you get one or two shake your hand and say thank you as well as the offer of a pint. Also the DWP when i worked there would always let me go in office time, rather than booking a few hours off
    Flogging the poppies is better these days with a lot more sold and more interest in what we are doing/what we have done

14. To remember friends I have lost and pay my respects to the ones I did not know - it is a moment for personal reflection - "there go I but for the grace etc......"

15. A whole host of reasons, really. Decency, habit, sense of obligation, sense of right-ness, to teach my kids what it's all about and occasionally to remind myself of it too.