Remembrance public holiday?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BFBS, Oct 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this has already been posted

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/remembermonday/

Number 10 Downing Street has approved a petition that was launched requesting a new public holiday falling on the Monday after Remembrance Sunday in November each year.
    To be known as the National Remembrance Holiday, it's purpose is threefold:

1. To emphasise the remembrance of those servicemen and women who have given, and continue to give, their lives for Britain
    2. To remind people of the importance of protecting our Nation and what it stands for
    3. To break that 3 month period between the August Public Holiday and Christmas when there are currently no long weekends, especially as the UK has fewer public holidays than most European Countries.

If you are in agreement, sign up to the petition - it only takes a few moments

2. DONE!

A NATIONAL DISGRACE THAT WE DON'T HAVE AN EQUIVALENT OF 'VETERANS DAY IN THE US, WHICH IS A PUBLIC HOLIDAY AND TAKEN VERY SERIOUSLY.

3. Done - Come on Boys and Girls lets get this up a few signatures.

4. No its not, most spams just get a day of work then get pi$$ed. Remembrance day shouldn't be a public holiday. All those gash cnuts who'll cash in on it. leave it as it is.

5. Damn right it should be done and all them fcukers who won't wear a poppy because they don't agree with the wars can go to fcuking work and crack on whilst the rest have the day off.

6. The 11th of November should be a public holiday, no matter what day it falls on.

If it falls on a Saturday then it should be a holiday on the Friday and if it falls on a Sunday then it should be a holiday on the Monday.

7. Why should it be a holiday? It certainly wouldn't engender any more thought in the general publics mind about the forces, nor will it make them think about wars past or present.

If it was made a holiday people would just use it as such - another excuse to lie in, do a bit of housework, get pissed, or any number of things usually reserved for weekends/holidays.

8. I don't think anything gets Joe Public's head out of his own backside but I think it should be done for the veterans, instead of shunting them to the nearest Sunday.

9. And if they take just one second to think "Fuckin Boss day off this, what is it for again?

Oh Yeah, all those Soldiers, Sailors and Civvies in Uniform that died."

Then the object has been achieved. Sign the petition.

Please.

10. Done!......Since you asked so nicely. :wink:

11. Heed, you make a good case. I think that if this new holiday were implemented the vast majority of Britain would just think, "Superb, another jolly!" but for those that really matter (the Veterans, the families, the service personnel themselves) then it's worth it.

I signed the damned thing. ;)

12. When I signed the Petition three days ago there were just over 42,000 signatories; today there are over 48,000. The Petition is live until 18 April 2008 so it should be possible to show massive public support for the introduction of a NATIONAL REMEMBRANCE HOLIDAY.

13. Exactly my thoughts on it.

Please dont water down what is already in place by making it a Public holiday.

Them thinking about it for one second? Doesnt achieve anything.

It would also put a strain on British Industry as a whole at a time when they need all the help they can get, with more time lost to holidays, Industry will struggle even more.