Remembrance Protocol

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Thicktrician, Aug 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been asked by some of my German colleagues to lay a poppy wreath at their equivalent of our armastice this year.

Firstly, I am working with a few ex army lads, a few ex raf lads and a few ex navy lads. We all agree that this would be a good gesture to show remembrance to all who died during the two world wars and there after.

Secondly, do we have to have diplomatic clearance?

Thirdly, Are we allowed to wear berets and medals?

Fourth, can we make remembrance speeches (translated of course)

Fifth, what attire is proper.

Sixth, what do we say in a translated speech?

Thanks in advance.

Thicktrician

2. You're a civvy. Do whatever you feel to be correct.

Speak to your German colleagues and get their advice on what to wear and what to say. It's them and their neighbours that you don't want to insult, so their guidance would be invaluable.

If you're giving a speech in German, I'd suggest getting a German to translate it, to avoid the use of any ambiguous words. "At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them." quoted in English and German is probably a good phrase to use - apolitical, blameless and meaningful. If you need to expand, explain that this is the phrase used in Britain.

3. Ta very much puts.

Yeah, you're right, i'm a civvy now. Good advice though.

I just want to make sure that me and the rest of the ex forces mates working in Germany who have been asked to do this don't b@lls up a solemn event.

Any more advice is welcome.

Cheers.
    TT

4. Are you ex-forces?

If you are then it would probably be fine to wear your old beret and medals. If you've got relatives medals then you can wear them over your right breast.

The be all and end all is that you should check (as Puttees says) with the Germans as to what they are doing and what they are wearing.

At the end of the day you have been invited and if you go by their standards then all will be fine. The day should be treated with the decorum that it deserves. You are obviously concerned so as to not upset local sensitivities and in that respect I am sure that you will do a good job.

5. Don't forget:

Your granddad's Victory Medal is worn on your RIGHT breast.
    Lederhosen are only for the summer. You'll freeze your cods off in November.
    Don't use Dresden and ausradieren in the same sentence.
    As you're laying the wreath, don't look over your shoulder, fall to the ground and shout "Achtung, Spitfeuer!"

BTW, use of "civvy" wasn't meant as a slight. Just that you're allowed to use common sense now.