Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remembrance parades

Our regiment are doing individual acts of remembrance at various graves across the county, personally I'm going to a relatives who was badly injured during the Normandy campaign. Wreaths will be laid and pictures taken to form an overall presentation to put out on the day.

This year is the centenary of the permanent Cenotaph we all know in London. The present Queen’s granddad was there at the inauguration, and I bet she will be, minus the crowds.
I have a feeling that HM will be saddened, but carry on.
And in a year when many old comrades have carried on, so should we all.
Raise a glass, give thanks, and carry on.
And if you ever get the chance to take the piss...if I must.

QRK2

LE
Hmmm...'front line'.

The difference is combating an inanimate virus against the idea of other humans who want to kill you which is an altogether different experience I think. I know it's dangerous and all that but it's not this front line or any like it:

That's my opinion anyhow. I'm not decrying the great job the NHS has done but I wonder how many of them spew before going to work - something that I've seen in numerous theatres before going out on patrol.

Those soldiers who go above and beyond are rightly heroes and get the gongs - and more often the headstones, the rest of us are just veterans with nightmares.

The NHS is also mostly just doing what the taxpayer gives it over £140bn a year to do.

(My bold) Well I am, the death rate stats alone reinforce that the sainted NHS (PBUH) is simply not as good as many other countries' heath systems.

Hmmm...'front line'.

The difference is combating an inanimate virus against the idea of other humans who want to kill you which is an altogether different experience I think. I know it's dangerous and all that but it's not this front line or any like it:

That's my opinion anyhow. I'm not decrying the great job the NHS has done but I wonder how many of them spew before going to work - something that I've seen in numerous theatres before going out on patrol.

Those soldiers who go above and beyond are rightly heroes and get the gongs - and more often the headstones, the rest of us are just veterans with nightmares.

The NHS is also mostly just doing what the taxpayer gives it over £140bn a year to do.

It’s really not worth getting a cockstand about. Regardless of the terminology the NHS do a fantastic job (in the main) and have had to face a very difficult time of late. If calling what they do the frontline helps with their morale then its a small thing and lets face it, the percentage of people who have experienced enemy fire and still around today, isnt that great.

Erinon

Old-Salt
I'll pop up to the local cemetary wheres there is a WGC grave of one of my old Corps soldiers, discovered it one day while waiting to attend a funeral.

Hmmm...'front line'.

looks like my first command appointment at Sandhurst...

All over the place I'm seeing signs stating "Hero's Work Here" outside of the elderly residential care homes and outside of hospitals and Doctors offices. Now don't get me wrong here, I think they do a great job but I do think that the word hero is used far to much these days.

Herself who is a healthcare professional finds it all cringe worthy.

Well I for one, think you are a hero for pointing this out!

Well I for one, think you are a hero for pointing this out!

Well thank you Charlie, however the only kind of hero I am is the kind you never hero* and I like it that way.

* hear of.

sand_rat

Old-Salt
Possibly back on thread, Wednesday this week spotted a total of 5 guys at the Cenotaph, raising and lowering UJ, one was the local branch Standard Bearer. On closer interrogation it seems that this years service will be 'by invite only' and they where preparing a video to be put on faceache and online in lieu of the real thing - inc donations. Appears some are making an effort to take up the slack.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
No, why? I hated being described as hero. It was bollocks. Especially alongside blokes like Dinger and SP who lost their lives. They could fairly be described as hero’s. Not some Crab who serviced some aircraft in Iraq. I’ll bet I’m not the only one.

It’s an overused term. What’s your problem with that?
I’m with you - I’m agreeing it was cringeworthy:roll:

Latest Threads