Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remembrance parades

Hi gents,

Im just having a nose to see what peoples plans are now parades are cancelled.
I’m guessing the local memorial and then then pub, or does anyone have any better ideas.
Cheers

Dr Death

War Hero
The Rule of 6 applies it seems so very small gatherings.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have spoken to a few who are going to the local cenotaph then the pub. As long as we don’t go in to tier 3 and close the pubs, Then we are fucked.
Dig a trench system, load up with rum and do some proper Remembering! :)

I’ll be in the dentist chair at 11/11/11. On the Sunday I will probably be at home watching the ceremony on tv

More NHS workers on the front lines than service personnel this year don't you know ^_~
Unfortunately, a large part of society seem to think that being a useless, obese, **** in a nurse costume in the same hospital as someone who has a slightly unusual strain of the flu is more of a risk than any other job.

I think some of them might even have had to work an extra (although financially rewarded) shift at some point, so woe betide any of us if we don't give them a round of applause for (not really) doing their job.

All over the place I'm seeing signs stating "Hero's Work Here" outside of the elderly residential care homes and outside of hospitals and Doctors offices. Now don't get me wrong here, I think they do a great job but I do think that the word hero is used far to much these days.

Herself who is a healthcare professional finds it all cringe worthy.

Last edited:

Polyester

War Hero
All over the place I'm seeing signs stating "Hero's Work Here" outside of the elderly residential care homes and outside of hospitals and Doctors offices. Now don't get me wrong here, I think they do a great job but I do think the the word hero is used far to much these days.

As did many service personnel during Telic and Herrick. Cringeworthy.

Both of us are NHS.
It's ******* embarrassing tbh, we are both doing jobs that we get paid for, both get the right PPE to do those jobs.
**** clapping etc etc, give us a pay rise.

QRK2

LE
I'm not far from one of the Centenary Woods. I reckon I might wonder over there, they haven't got round to putting car parks in so should be suitably quiet and walt and wannabe free.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
More NHS workers on the front lines than service personnel this year don't you know ^_~
Hmmm...'front line'.

The difference is combating an inanimate virus against the idea of other humans who want to kill you which is an altogether different experience I think. I know it's dangerous and all that but it's not this front line or any like it:

That's my opinion anyhow. I'm not decrying the great job the NHS has done but I wonder how many of them spew before going to work - something that I've seen in numerous theatres before going out on patrol.

Those soldiers who go above and beyond are rightly heroes and get the gongs - and more often the headstones, the rest of us are just veterans with nightmares.

The NHS is also mostly just doing what the taxpayer gives it over £140bn a year to do.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
All over the place I'm seeing signs stating "Hero's Work Here" outside of the elderly residential care homes and outside of hospitals and Doctors offices. Now don't get me wrong here, I think they do a great job but I do think the the word hero is used far to much these days.

As do 2 of my daughters, one a mental health nurse in a dementia and old folks ward, and the other in a NHS care home.

Polyester

War Hero
You have got to be kidding me?
No, why? I hated being described as hero. It was bollocks. Especially alongside blokes like Dinger and SP who lost their lives. They could fairly be described as hero’s. Not some Crab who serviced some aircraft in Iraq. I’ll bet I’m not the only one.

It’s an overused term. What’s your problem with that?

Latest Threads