Remembrance parade saluting

#1
Good afternoon,

I have what I hope is a fairly simple question regarding saluting during a remembrance parade.
Last year I was unfortunate in that I could not attend the parade with my unit, so went by myself to my local parade. I went in uniform as I felt this was an acceptable thing to do (if I'm wrong please let me know!).
However during the parade I was unsure of when to stand to attention, when to salute etc. Could someone please fill me in on the correct drills for this occasion?

Thank you.
 
#2
Stand to attention for National Anthem and Minute's Silence. As for saluting I have always tried to follow someone else's lead which is getting trickier as I get older. If you wait for a bit someone will come along who will give you the correct etiquette for saluting at Rememberance parades.

whf
 
#4
If you are ever in this situation again why not offer your services to the Legion for the day? Perhaps some of the more elderly wheelchair-bound veterans would be grateful for assistance on the day so that they may see the event. Advantages include;

1. You get the satisfaction of helping those old soldiers for whom Remembrance Day is actually held;

2. With two hands on a wheelchair, saluting will not be an issue.
 

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#5
skintboymike said:
If you are ever in this situation again why not offer your services to the Legion for the day? Perhaps some of the more elderly wheelchair-bound veterans would be grateful for assistance on the day so that they may see the event. Advantages include;

1. You get the satisfaction of helping those old soldiers for whom Remembrance Day is actually held;

2. With two hands on a wheelchair, saluting will not be an issue.
May I also add:

3. The old boys will invite you back to the Legion afterwards for a proper sesh.
 
#6
skintboymike said:
If you are ever in this situation again why not offer your services to the Legion for the day? Perhaps some of the more elderly wheelchair-bound veterans would be grateful for assistance on the day so that they may see the event. Advantages include;

1. You get the satisfaction of helping those old soldiers for whom Remembrance Day is actually held;

2. With two hands on a wheelchair, saluting will not be an issue.
I thought it was held to remember everyone who has given their lives...not just the World Wars!
 
#7
Do whatever you feel comforatble with. By all means follow the lead of others. Last year I was at my parents' local parade as my old man was laying the wreath as he was the only veteran available. I was asked to join the "Colour Party" as the only serving uniformed attendee. Bloody good turn out for a small village. Saluted during the Last Post and National Anthem then adjourned to the pub where a remarkable amount of free beer came my way.
 
#9
BaggyInBlack said:
I thought it was held to remember everyone who has given their lives...not just the World Wars!
Read recently that the idea behind the *two* minute silence was one for the fallen, one for those who came back.
 
#10
Bravo_Bravo said:
BaggyInBlack said:
I thought it was held to remember everyone who has given their lives...not just the World Wars!
Read recently that the idea behind the *two* minute silence was one for the fallen, one for those who came back.
Just looking into that now to try and get some credibility for it, but can only find this http://www.thetwominutesilence.co.uk/history
 
#12
I have always been lead to believe that the two minutes was put in place as a one minute silence was customary for a number of reasons, and it was felt that all of those who gave their lives deserved 2 mins to mark this out.
 
#13
ocdt_ said:
Good afternoon,

I have what I hope is a fairly simple question regarding saluting during a remembrance parade.
Last year I was unfortunate in that I could not attend the parade with my unit, so went by myself to my local parade. I went in uniform as I felt this was an acceptable thing to do (if I'm wrong please let me know!).
However during the parade I was unsure of when to stand to attention, when to salute etc. Could someone please fill me in on the correct drills for this occasion?

Thank you.
1. If you are attending your local parade and wish to do so in uniform, the done thing is to seek permission from either the Adj or the RSM.

2. Officers salute, ORs do not. As an OCdt you would be an "OR" for the purposes of distinction, however if in doubt, seek out the Parade Cdr prior to forming up and seek his/her guidance on what he/she wants you to do.
 
#14
Here's a related question - I'm always 'on parade' in civvies at Remembrance events as part of the local RBL and Poppy crew.

I really can't bring myself to sing the National Anthem, because I'm 'on parade' and thus stood to attention.

I mean, you don't sing when you're at attention in uniform, do you?
 
#15
blue-sophist said:
Here's a related question - I'm always 'on parade' in civvies at Remembrance events as part of the local RBL and Poppy crew.

I really can't bring myself to sing the National Anthem, because I'm 'on parade' and thus stood to attention.

I mean, you don't sing when you're at attention in uniform, do you?
Blue-sophist,

Probably my poor memory but I can't recall singing the National Anthem at any Rememberance services. I can however recollect sometimes singing the Anthem in uniform, whilst at attention. Can't recall the occasion but it does ring a bell.

whf
 
#16
wehappyfew said:
blue-sophist said:
Here's a related question - I'm always 'on parade' in civvies at Remembrance events as part of the local RBL and Poppy crew.
I really can't bring myself to sing the National Anthem, because I'm 'on parade' and thus stood to attention.
I mean, you don't sing when you're at attention in uniform, do you?
Blue-sophist,
Probably my poor memory but I can't recall singing the National Anthem at any Rememberance services. I can however recollect sometimes singing the Anthem in uniform, whilst at attention. Can't recall the occasion but it does ring a bell.
whf
Tricky one, innit!!
I'm lucky, I'm a crap singer anyway so best not done at all.
 
#17
woopert said:
ocdt_ said:
Good afternoon,

I have what I hope is a fairly simple question regarding saluting during a remembrance parade.
Last year I was unfortunate in that I could not attend the parade with my unit, so went by myself to my local parade. I went in uniform as I felt this was an acceptable thing to do (if I'm wrong please let me know!).
However during the parade I was unsure of when to stand to attention, when to salute etc. Could someone please fill me in on the correct drills for this occasion?

Thank you.
1. If you are attending your local parade and wish to do so in uniform, the done thing is to seek permission from either the Adj or the RSM.

2. Officers salute, ORs do not. As an OCdt you would be an "OR" for the purposes of distinction, however if in doubt, seek out the Parade Cdr prior to forming up and seek his/her guidance on what he/she wants you to do.
Think your wrong there old boy. Officers and WO's salute.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads