• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Remembrance Parade do's / dont's

Good evening Arrsers,

After a little advise. During rememberance parade does an OR, obviously in uniform, salute? I am refuring to a parade at a local village, not a Regt thing. Therefore I could be one, of few, in uniform. If I do salute, is it during the 'silence' or during the Last Post..Or both????

Thanks in advance

P.i.i

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
More advice:

Do: Listen to the old soldiers' war stories. You might learn something, and they'll enjoy bending your ear.

Don't: Munch on a stick of crunchy celery during the silence. It's considered bad form.

P

PrinceAlbert

Do: Take a slash on the memorial when leathered, it's all the rage nowadays

The_Duke

LE
IIRC, when just 'attending' in uniform and not formed up or part of the proceedings, all those in uniform (including ORs) throw one up (not to be confused with throwing one out which draws unnecessary attention).

Edited to add - just do it anyway mate - who is going to care? It's hardly the cenotaph now is it.
Never seen it done like that, but would not argue the point - as you said, no-one will care.

Don't fecking chatter like certain Nepalese did whilst at attention during the Armed Forces Parade in the summer. Lovely blokes, hard as feck, but bloomin noisy. Also, if there's a do at the Legion later make sure you race there because by the time I got to the Woking Railway Men's Club their families had scoffed all the chicken drumsticks and the decent sarnies. All I got was a horror bag sausage roll and curled up ham sarnie.

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
More advice after the parade.

Do. Drink only one pint with the old soldiers, everything after that has to be spirits
Don't. Throw up over yourself 12 hours later and take out medals a year later to discover they're covered in what looks like port ;-)

IIRC, when just 'attending' in uniform and not formed up or part of the proceedings, all those in uniform (including ORs) throw one up (not to be confused with throwing one out which draws unnecessary attention).

Edited to add - just do it anyway mate - who is going to care? It's hardly the cenotaph now is it.
Come home for the service every year and I've always been told the above is the done thing.

throw one up at Last post or the silence???????
Silence: Up on 1st note of Last Post, hold for silence, down on Last Note of Reveille (some parades end the salute on the on the 1st note so look around and whip it away if others are doing so).

Not sure about the National anthem, usually just stand to attention and sing my heart out (top tip learn the second verse before Sunday!)

Latest Threads