Remembrance Day - Who puts their gongs up?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by exXIX, Sep 23, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What with nearly all of the WW1 vets now passed on and the WW2 boys starting to thin out in big numbers at the current rate there is going to be noone left to march on 11 Nov.

Do you think we should go down the Yank line on Vets Days and all ex-servicemen, of all ages, get gonged up as we go about our business on this special day.

We will never forget the sacrifices of our comrades who have died in war and peace since WW2, but there is a real danger that the great British public might unless more is done to promote Remembrance Day and keep it in the public eye.

2. What you getting at my friend "gonged up" "Vets day ". :?

3. To my knowledge there are always blokes in suits of mutipul ages wearing Gongs on remerbrance day. Go down your local Leigon boozer and chat to them. Old squaddies love to pull up a sand bag and down pound a pint best ale. :lol:

4. Gonged up = wearing your medals

Vet Day = what the Spams call 11 November.

Not being a religeous chap Remembrance Sunday is the only time you will find me in a church. I go not to worship God but to remember those who did not make it home in one piece, particularly the half dozen of so who I knew.

Since leaving the service and going through this ritual in a civvy village church I have taken to wearing my gongs. Felt a bit of a knobber at first as most folks expect to see some old chap not a 40ish bloke who they see down the pub. I'll be doing it again this year in the hope that joe public might realize that there is still a lot of younger men who we should be remembering, not least when the Poppy Appeal box comes round.

I wonder how many feel (and do) the same. Ought there to be more of it?

5. I do and up until the year before last I was the youngest one on the parade at 32. Had quite a few more of the 25 upwards turn up last year including some serving regs that were on leave so it wasn't a bad turn out. Most of the local TA mob have been on Telic as well so I expect we'll see a few more this year.

One good side of it is that being relativley young and having gongs, you tend not to have to pay for any beer all day :D

This year I have been dicked to be parade marshal as well, so I fully expect to be totally mullered by about 1500.

6. So What you are saying that more young ex service persons should wear medals and blazers to rememberance services.

Damn right its the least I can do, now I have to find a service here.

7. I do, and I play a bugle in the band (The Romsey Old Cadets), and I'm bloody proud to do both!

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Every year I've worn them, either in uniform or now in Civvies.

It's my chance to remember my fellow Medics who didnt come back.

9. Don't forget the manyfold who served thru the Cold War and didn't get a single medal ( unless they snuck over to Cyprus if UK based, or got in an Op Banner - Germany Based.)

The moral of this note:

Until the current seving generation ( with their chestsful of campaign medals) gets to a ripe old age, there will be a marked lack of gongs compared to our WWi and WWII forebears.

Therefore beware those who stare at empty chests on 11/11!

10. i have paraded every year , as it stand i won't be getting a gong for some time, still im turning up anyway in uniform to show my respect.

11. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

While I agree with where you are coming from and having only the "inch" from NI in early 70's and not enough time for LSGC (not that I would have got it anyway!) if there are some young guys with campaign medals stretching across their left shoulder then remember that to get a campaign medal you have to do the campaign! Good luck to them but I agree that even if there are no medals to show then that is no reason not to turn out.

How about the youngsters all going to the Cenotaph so that TBliar and TCH can see what medals look like!

12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Good point, I remember back in 1979, a well decorated soldier had 2 or 3 gongs, but they were Radfan or Dhofar or the early Northern Ireland bars. Now a LCpl of 5 years service has 6 or 7. Not a bad thing but like PP says- "Beware!"

13. Having only the one (GSM NI) it looked bloody lonely the one and only time I wore on the 11th day of the 11th month.

14. I parade with the queens colour of the "old contempables" - the WWI british expeditionary force, the queens colour has been intrusted to me byt the fellowship and i with great pride parade the queens colour at all civic and military parades in the town of Chesterfield, the Lord Lt said i do a very good job and has written to the queen about my cadet detatchment who provide the guard for it.

I have always turned out for the rememberance parades, this year alone i did Beat the Retreat, and have upcoming - 3 rememberance parades, 2 trafalgar parades and a festival of rememberance. i have no medals of my own, missed out on the jubiliee medal by a fortnight.

Yet i am always welcomed by the fellowship and by the other veterans on parade, sad as it is that thier numbers are dwindeling.

so i say wear your medals, go to churches be proud of what you are and of what "they" did for us, in all wars, far and near.

I lost mates in peace time as well as war ops so i think fondly of those too.

God bless them and thier memory, its our duty to continue to put time aside to remember them and to show to civies (chavs included) what its all about, lets face it, the schools dont teach it any more and ignorance is becoming widespread, kids know all about diwalli but not armistace day.

its a wrong world we live in.

Rincewind

We SHALL remember them

15. Medals don´t make a man!

Medals just show where you were and what you did.

A proud chest doesn´t need any medals!!!

Well, that´s what my dad told me before I joined the army as I was, at the time, medal mad.

Now, 14 years later, I have my medals and my fathers to wear on my right chest.

The best medals are my fathers medals and they are the ones I shall wear with more pride then my own!!!