Remembrance Day - Not allowed to wear my medal!

We were not allowed to wear our medals on remembrance day parade in town because we were in combats. I don't think that is fair, many of us have served our country with regulars on operations. We don't get given No2's. The regular RSM in charge of the parade was apparantly the one who said no to it. We have been allowed in the past, still a bit hacked off really, or am I making a fuss about nothing?

It is against regs but fair point, always thought the french had the right idea, "good enough to die in, good enough to parade in"

dante242 said:
It is against regs but fair point, always thought the french had the right idea, "good enough to die in, good enough to parade in"

I always wondered why the French army, apart from the Legion, bothered having any 'combat' kit! :twisted:

I suggest you tab in to the Badge and express your 'outrage' to him (or her I suppose).
If you dont get issued with any other uniform to display your medal(s) exactly when are you supposed to wear them?
Your badge is a twot, if it was his or her decision. Tell him I said so.

p.s. the TA unit at the Salford cenotaph on Sunday were in CS 95 were wearing their gongs......scruffy looking, yes, but in the absence of any other uniform...........

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
bibo_boy said:
IIRC It is against regs to wear them with 95's?

BUT, most units.
The dress regs stipulate that it's at the commander's (can't recall what level, but guessing CO) discretion.

We paraded with medals on C95's once and we got applause and cheers from the public that time. Might have been coincidental, but it felt good to be appreciated.

You might also point out to the badge that if you cant wear them in CS95, the only time they will be on display is on the right breast of a close relative or on your chest in a pine box.

Or - here's a thought - you could try bearing in mind that Rememberance Sunday is primarily about honouring the dead, not bigging yourself up. It's always nice to wear your medals but it looks utter pump in Cbt 95.

Just how is wearing your clankers, whilst serving, 'bigging it up'?

wedge35 said:
Or - here's a thought - you could try bearing in mind that Rememberance Sunday is primarily about honouring the dead, not bigging yourself up. It's always nice to wear your medals but it looks utter pump in Cbt 95.
What the fuk does that mean? Does this mean I can walk up to some old bloke with a chest full of gongs and say 'YOU FEKKIN SHOW OFF!'. The logical conclusion is that you never wear any medals ever.

On any parade I have had to do in C95 people have always been alowed to 'big themselves up' with gongs, and this sunday was no exception.

The HCR, as usual, observed Remembrance at the Garrison Church in Windsor; this year they were wearing C95 with medals (including Cornet Wales the Younger) :D

Get over yourself, The people who need to know, know.

At rememberence you are remembering those that made the ultimate sacrifice it's not about making yourself look good.

762baynet said:
wedge35 said:
What the fuk does that mean? Does this mean I can walk up to some old bloke with a chest full of gongs and say 'YOU FEKKIN SHOW OFF!'. The logical conclusion is that you never wear any medals ever.

On any parade I have had to do in C95 people have always been alowed to 'big themselves up' with gongs, and this sunday was no exception.
No - it means medals look good on 2s, good on blazers but total shite on Cbt 95. I'm one of the last people to grumble about how the army has gone to the dogs (it hasn't) but one thing that has changed for the worst is that some people seem to have become completely obsessed with medals. Get over it, parade in what your badge tells you to parade in and look forward to sticking them on your blazer when your old and crumbly (or when you get a new badge).

Wedge, supposing someone thinks medals look shite on 2's?
FFS most blokes in the TAs dont get 2s and always end up on parade in combats. I dont agree with that but the way things are if we get 2s something else would have to give.
This condems TA blokes to looking like they have never been anywhere or done anything. If I am told by a badge that I cannot wear medals I am not going to cry about it, my point is that I think it is wrong. Just my opinion.

wedge35 said:
762baynet said:
wedge35 said:

No - it means medals look good on 2s, good on blazers but total shite on Cbt 95. I'm one of the last people to grumble about how the army has gone to the dogs (it hasn't) but one thing that has changed for the worst is that some people seem to have become completely obsessed with medals. Get over it, parade in what your badge tells you to parade in and look forward to sticking them on your blazer when your old and crumbly (or when you get a new badge).
Have you not seen the news. I think you'll notice there are plenty of lads not living long enough to "get old and crumbly" Instead they are earning gongs left right and centre then getting killed or injured.

If you had raised this a few years ago I wouldn't have been too fussed but the way things are going... Let the lads be proud of what they earnt. I wore mine for the first time this year and got several pats on the back, and my hand shook more times than i care to remember...

Nice feeling to know that people give a sh1t. That didn't take anything away from the dust in my eye when last post played.

at our TA rememberance we had a situation where most who showed had just returned from Telic and had been previously to Afghanistan as well, they nearly all had had the medals court mounted before but were dis mounted to have them represented by HRH, which all were proud to have had done, only then to be told that as they were no longer court mounted they either parade with just that medal swinging or choose which one (or the rest of the court mounted others) to wear. in the words of a senior rank who has deliberately avoided Chilwell 3 times now " choose yer most senior one mate "!!!!!! thats it, one current conflict is more important than another? to the stay at home pan divers!!!!!!!
so all in all I agree with the statement those who know, know, now.

Bad_Crow said:
wedge35 said:
762baynet said:
wedge35 said:

Have you not seen the news. I think you'll notice there are plenty of lads not living long enough to "get old and crumbly" Instead they are earning gongs left right and centre then getting killed or injured.

If you had raised this a few years ago I wouldn't have been too fussed but the way things are going... Let the lads be proud of what they earnt. I wore mine for the first time this year and got several pats on the back, and my hand shook more times than i care to remember...

Nice feeling to know that people give a sh1t. That didn't take anything away from the dust in my eye when last post played.
I don't need to watch the news, mate, I've been there myself. I don't mean to have a go at anyone but,personally I still think that people make far too much of the medal thing. It seems I'm in a minority of one as usual though :)

With the numbers of TA on current operations isn't it a good idea that on one of the few occasions that they get a chance to show that they have been and done the job, that they do show the public they have done so?

I don't see this as individuals bigging themselves up, but more of showing that the TA are doing the job too. I admit that Medals on combats doesn't look good, but isn't it better than not displaying them at all? after all medals are for show.

How about we take the 'those who know, know' statement further. Everyone who needs to know, knows my rank, job, brigade etc etc, so can I stop wearing all these useless badges on my uniform? I don't think they look good, they serve no practical purpose that I can see....

I suppose we could all sell a couple of medals and buy Number 2's off eBay to wear them with. Maybe, we should just drop wearing them at all?

Hear where you're coming from Wedge, but this nation needs to fast catch on, that there are many who have earned their medals, who realistically never have the opportunity to display the nation's reward for our service. Personally, I don't even take them out of the drawer, but I can understand those that would like the chance to and just thank God that I am still here to make that decision.

Attitiudes towards wearing medals with 95s will change among the regular army in time as they no longer get issued No2s at depots. Only time they will get them is for a major event, such as colours parade, even then, following the tailoring etc they will be handed back after the parade.

This has happened to the TA for years, now the regulars too, one army.

You could of course buy your own No2s, as per mess kit, but I wonder what happens when you reach the Cpls / Sgts mess and havn't bought yourself No2s or a mess kit, wear 95s I guess.