Remembrance Day binned

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by 184461, Oct 24, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 184461

184461 On ROPs

For a start when did Remembrance Day get renamed to Poppy Day?
    This is all about honouring and remembering the hundreds of thousands that have died for our country and nothing about poppies except as a symbol.

Secondly, WTF is HMG up to?
    Will the ceremony down in London be getting the same treatment?
    You can bet your house it won't. It'll be rammed with publicly-funded vampires all getting expenses and free scoff on our flick.

Poppy Day is cancelled by the police: Outrage as forces insist they cannot afford to man remembrance parades amid budget cuts
    • Campaigners have blasted forces for breaking the decades-old tradition
    • Senior officers say they have no choice because of Government budget cuts
    • Volunteers are battling to raise hundreds of pounds to hire professional traffic management firms to meet strict health and safety standards
    Poppy Day parades to honour Britain’s war dead are facing the axe because police chiefs across the country are refusing to send officers to block off roads.
    Organisers of the annual parade in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, which attracts about 10,000 people, say they need to raise £800 to save the event.
    West Midlands Police has also withdrawn its support for dozens of Remembrance Sunday parades.
    Organisers of a parade in Mapperley, Nottinghamshire, said they were ‘gobsmacked’ when police told them they will not marshal traffic there this year.
    A parade in Stoke-on-Trent was threatened with the axe last week, until Staffordshire police did a U-turn and said they would supply officers after all.

Poppy Day is cancelled by the police amid budget cuts | Daily Mail Online
    Poppy Day parades face axe as police say they cannot cover events after cuts
    Melton Mowbray poppy day parade could be cancelled due to police cuts | Metro News

[​IMG]

Lately there's not a day that passes that I'm not embarrassed to be British.
    I never thought I'd feel like this.

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 11
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Make them "Remembrance Day Support Marches" then the coppers will have to turn out. :cool:

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
  3. Helm

Helm LE Book Reviewer

I should kill yourself then

• Like Like x 2
  4. Eeh the outrage. I expect every service will continue as usual.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Helm

Helm LE Book Reviewer

That's proper outraged remembering that is

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  6. I wish I could be surprised, but I’m not. The police forces of the UK need money and pick their battles well. If they pulled personal from Afro Caribbean, LGBT, and every other special interest groups festivities they would be accused of one bias or another, and be racist/homophobic/etc. Remembrance Day is an easy target, the people will be outraged and the government coffers will open and the coppers will get their coin. Politics at its lowest.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  7. *sigh*

I'll go to the MT, first parade it and draw the keys to the POL point, but you can explain to the QM why I've had to bother him in silent hours.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  8. A well-disciplined body of ex-servicemen and women - not your average unwashed rabble - could surely find, with its ranks, a few ex-MPs with experience in stopping a few cars and/or directing traffic?
    Bung 'em a Hi-Viz tabard each, assign them to corners along the route, and what's not to like?

Or is this just toy-throwing by the rozzers to get attention/questions asked in the House?

• Like Like x 14
  9. outrage bus.jpg

Can you stick one of them big Poppys on the front?

10. To hell with that...

Just stick this in the front of the parade...

[​IMG]

"You want me to do WHAT, constable? noooo, I don't think so..."

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 9
  11. Hold the Parades anyway and tell the Rozzers to shove it.

• Like Like x 24
  12. As with any other H&S shiote.

They tried it a few years back with a centuries old tradition, said it was cancelled because they couldn't afford to "police" it. People just turned up as usual, as they had done for centuries!

• Like Like x 8
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Really you and what army

Oh

• Funny Funny x 18
    • Like Like x 4
  14. I have 4 towns of varying sizes on my area, I & my cops will attend, police & lay wreaths at all 4 this year just like we do every year.

It is the one day I get no wriggling/whinging/questioning or avoidance of duty changes.

• Like Like x 26
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. .....old news, rozzer's budget only goes so far, in some places they can't/won't police something that frankly is unlikely to turn into a riot - it's risk evaluation - nothing is 'cancelled' despite what the prophets of doom would have us believe. Please hand the keys to the outrage bus back in to the Guard Room

Anyway, shouldn't the OP be celebrating the Glorious Worker's Bolshevik Revolution this month? (or next, your calendars may vary)

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2