Remembrance Day approaches

Discussion in 'Waltenkommando' started by solomon88, Oct 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Picture from last year's Remembrance Day in local paper this morning. Can't upload it or anything, but shows a late 60-ish chap with the following:

Right breast (yes, right): 39-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Africa Star, 39-45 War Medal

Left breast, separately: GSM with clasp (unreadable), plus what looks like an Afghanistan OSM but isn't - no light blue in the ribbon, and the shape of the medal itself is wrong.

So has he served at least 1945 to 2000? Or is he called Walter?
  2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Or you are thick as pigshit and should kill yourself?
    • Like Like x 13
  3. It could be a GSM/Borneo with PJM, the war medals could be his Dads, worn in the correct manner.

You can stand the bus down
  4. Right breast - dad's (brother ?) medals.

Left breast - who knows - hard paper round perhaps ?
  5. I think it's about time that you and all other members of the "Waltenkommando" climb onto a bridge and reflect on life and the decisions you've made.
    • Like Like x 11
  6. Perhaps with a cheese wire noose for a splash of colour?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sorry. I have tried, honestly, like for 10 minutes at least but...

• Like Like x 3
  8. There will be a guy in his sixties this year wearing a row of American medals on his right breast including a purple heart, only be a couple the other side for which I apologise but that's the way it is.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. As a young Canadian civilian (early twenties) who has recently been awarded the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal, I'm a little confused about the protocol regarding Remembrance Day. My friends in the Reserves say I should wear it with a suit jacket while attending a ceremony, as a form of solidarity since " earned the medal," (more or less for several community service projects which really hit it off) while other friends say that it would detract from the veterans themselves.

I'd hate to look like a walt, and combined with the fact that it's merely a commemorative medal, I really don't know what I should be doing. I do know that I'll be attending the local ceremony in a suit, as usual.

(One final note - if I do end up wearing the medal, would it go on the lapel, on the heart, or on the opening of the pocket (slightly below the heart) )?

Thanks very much.
  10. If the QDJM is the only one you have then I wouldn't bother wearing it personally.

If you want to though, everyone I've seen wearing medals in a suit has them on the breast pocket.
  11. you were rightfully awarded it so wear it if you want. it wasnt awarded to veterans specifically (but in the name of the wee man and all that is holy lets not fucking go there again) so i cant see how you wearing it would detract from them.

however, if some random bird asks you what its for tell her it was for killing a bloodthirsty somali pirate with a frightfully sharp piece of mango. you might want to practice keeping a straight face.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. You were awarded the medal by (well on behalf of) the Queen. Wear it with pride

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. There you are DD, no charge. Big Phil won't mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I didnt even take the shelves out.
  15. Ultimate Walt

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1