Remembrance Day and Dishonourable Discharge from HM Forces.

If someone has served and been dishonourably discharged from the army for whatever reason, can they still attend remembrance parades with their gong(s), regimental tie, head dress etc. The reason I ask is that I know somebody who won't attend such parades as he feels he has discredited the army. But my reasoning is that he did serve, he did his stint in the pokey, did his time and ultimately earned the medals. Thoughts?

Mate, if all of those ex-squaddies who spent time in nick (local or Colly) didn't turn up to Remembrance Day parades, there would hardly be on bugger on parade.

He's earned his medals, and is entitled to his beret and tie. I can't imagine how he feels he has discredited the army to such an extent as would preclude him being made welcome - unless he stole stuff from his muckers, or is one of those three RGJ half-wits who were jailed for murdering that Danish lass in Cyprus.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
I seem to recall reading on either pt1 or pt 2 orders where medals and awards were forfeited as part of the discharge, 56 days and out!
Long time ago in BAOR but it happened a few times and I cant recall it being frowned upon!

ugly

LE
He was AWOL for a while, court martialled, did a spell in Colchester and discharged.
No one can stop you wearing medals after you leave, however if they are concerned they can write to Glasgow and see if their medals were forfeit!

At the end of the day he's there to pay his respects to those who didn't make it back.
Personally, if he's got his lid on and medals up and he's earned them , then why not.

I would be more concerned about the never served Walts masquerading as military rather than someone who's dropped a bit of a bollock when younger.

He was AWOL for a while, court martialled, did a spell in Colchester and discharged.
Tell Joe Glenton he's fine to attend.

PS. Best not make any of those crap Stop-The-War speeches though, it may offend

He can just go as himself. Paying your respects just requires attendance.

He can just go as himself. Paying your respects just requires attendance.
Absolutely - just standing at the back without the metalwork etc... is just as respectful - unless he wants to make it all about him.

I don't wear medals to parades as I don't have any medals or go to parades.

What offence was he convicted and given a dishonourable discharge for, AWOL? Or was there a bit more to it?
He was AWOL for a couple of months, he was finally caught up with, trialled at court martial and did a 4 month stretch in colly before being discharged. He's under the impression that he got a dishonourable discharge because he did colly and then discharged. Or is there a lesser form of discharge?

Can't see an AWOL having much bearing on honours and medals.

However, I'm inclined to insert the caveat. I have noticed a tendency (especially in the Military Discipline section) for posters to initially slightly 'understate' the actual situation when seeking advice. So there would probably be something of a difference between 'going AWOL' and 'going on a mass killing spree whilst AWOL'.

He was AWOL for a couple of months, he was finally caught up with, trialled at court martial and did a 4 month stretch in colly before being discharged. He's under the impression that he got a dishonourable discharge because he did colly and then discharged. Or is there a lesser form of discharge?
I may be wrong but I always thought dishonourable meant disgraceful conduct, which is a bit more significant on the heinous scale than AWOL. For an example a mate of mine went AWOL but certainly wasn't discharged ....and he had stabbed someone.

ugly

LE
I may be wrong but I always thought dishonourable meant disgraceful conduct, which is a bit more significant on the heinous scale than AWOL. For an example a mate of mine went AWOL but certainly wasn't discharged ....and he had stabbed someone.
If it meant missing a deployment it could be worth forfeiture. You wouldn't have to go awol just before, just be away long enough to miss the deployment. One of the lads in my platoon regularly wandered off. He even came close to missing deployments but usually the fuzz brought him back pissed from whichever bint he had shacked up with. One character in the Bn was absent so long at the end of his 9 years he owed the army so much time that they let him off. The CO had to get approval for it, he wasn't a bad soldier, he was a good fisherman and would jump on a trawler rather than go back to camp!