Remembrance D-Day! 06/06/1944 (Pont Du Hoe)

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Jun 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

2. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

SUPREME HEADQUARTERS
    ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY FORCE

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944 ! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground.

Our Home Fronts have given us an superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

3. I agree, but we'd be remiss (especially on a British forum) to neglect mention of Major Howard and the Paras who took Pegasus bridge, the British troops who stormed Gold and Sword beaches, and the Canadians at Juno Beach. Victory over fascism was payed for with the blood of brave warriors from all corners of the world.

4. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I think that if you take the time to listen to President Reagan's speech you will hear that!

5. Major Howard and the Paras who took Pegasus bridge:

Were they not The Ox and Bucks Light Infantry, Glider borne troops?? Who's pilot landed them no more than 70 yards from the bridge at the dead of night.

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

There was me thinking that the place was Pointe du Hoc. :x

Still the septics like to change all types of history to suit themselves and if they want to put a bridge over the chanel, why not!

Up the Ox and Bucks.

7. Hey, remember that I (a septic) brought it up. Exemplifying the courage, skill, and sacrifice of one group should not diminish that of another. All the allied soldiers (yes, even the frogs) played a vital role in the war.

8. Someone had to make the tea I suppose...

9. At 00:15 hrs Double British Summer Time on the 6th june 1944 ( ie 23:15 BST, 5th june ) a glider, piloted by S/Sgt Jim Wallwark ( Glider Pilots Regiment ) landed 28 men from 2nd Ox and Bucks, 47 meters from Benouville, later Pegasus Bridge.

Posted by Bravo Bravo

Link

10. If knowing more about the D Day landings is your thing then Stephen Ambrose (author of Band of Brothers) has written two excellent books called "D-Day" and "Pegasus Bridge".

The Rangers who stormed the fortifications at Pointe-du-Hoc found the gun emplacements empty (the Germans has removed them) however the Rangers did not know this and the site would have needed to be taken anyway because of its tactical importance. Ten years latter the CO of Ranger Force (Col Rudder) re-visited the site and said "Will you tell me how we did this? Anybody would be a fool to try this. It was crazy then and its crazy now". The assault was not helped by shells from HMS Glassgow falling short, one of which hit the CO's CP killing one.

D Company Ox and Bucks LI were the first unit into action on D-Day and when finally withdrawn in Sept had only 40 men left from an original strength of 181.

Both books are a cracking read.

11. The coup de main force also contained two platoons of B Coy plus attached Engineers, Medics and Signallers.

Major John Howard acted as an adviser during the making of The Longest Day. Apparently, the director tried to insist that the portrayal of the action included a septic para who had somehow landed on top of the superstructure [try and work out the drift on that one!] and was already throwing grenades at the boxheads by the time that Richard Todd and his crew arrived. John threatened to abandon the movie there and then. :crash:

12. Hmm.. I'm gonna throw the BS flag down on that Darryl Zanuck & Ken Annakin went at great length to stick to Cornelius Ryans Screenplay

13. Its Pointe du Hoc, isnt it? Rudders Rangers scaled the cliff face by rope.

Cause Im dyslexic...

14. That all well a good but my great Uncle told me the motivating speech he got from his platoon Sgt before going ashore was

“Any of you fookers don’t pull there weight I’ll shoot you my self”

Motivating stuff

15. Really?

Does that include the bit where SS Troops were to be seen diving out of the windows of the Cafe Gondree (sp.) until Mme Gondree threw a track?

Ask her kids next time you're there. And then ask them why all the 43/52 OBLI old boys no longer make use of their premises, preferring instead to victual in the cafe opposite.

Good luck on the second question - I got told to leave after asking.