Remembrance book of the dead

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by brettarider, Nov 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My dad's just been given a book by a member of his family printed just after WW1 the book in question is called the records of the men of LochBroom 1914-1919 and lists all the men of the area who were killed/died of wounds during the time frame .
    Each page has a picture of the man service details and
    lists his family address and other family members who also served and lists their fate as well if KIA etc sadly 85 men from the area are remembered inc my dads grandfather which was a lot for quite a sparsely populated area.
    Many regiments that have now gone are listed, Lovat Scouts,Seaforths,Gordons,Camerons,Aus light horse,HLI,6th Dragoon Guards,NZIF,

The book was printed in 1922 are these quite common?

Also my dads grandad was called up in 1917 at the age of 22/23 his occupation was a baker was this a reserved occupation until later in the war? as I wonder why he was not called up earlier?

2. I have heard of similar books in a range called "Men who died in the Great War" but by regiment rather than locale. Interesting that someone took the time to research it at the time. Maybe your local library have further details on this (I have been surprised what (other than books) can be found in a library). Several schools have produced these books and the military college at Addiscombe produced one, too.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The canadians have an online war memorial, I'll put up some links some time!

4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

My uncle died up the Irrawaddy in 1944, day before his 29th birthday, butchered where he lay in a field hospital during a Jap counterattack having been wounded in action during the big push. He was in 2 Borders. According to my brother, our grandfather went white overnight when he heard how his son had died.

His sister, my mother, whenever we were in Carlisle used to visit the Cathedral to browse the Book of Remembrance under glass, of which the page was turned daily.

One day I could not understand her breakdown. It took her hours to calm down and tell me why. There was the entry for her brother. She never needed to go again.