Remembrance 2019 A significant change.

The RBL have changed the meaning of Remembrance this year.

• We remember the sacrifice of the Armed Forces community from Britain and the Commonwealth.
  • We pay tribute to the special contribution of families and of the emergency services.
  • We acknowledge innocent civilians who have lost their lives in conflict and acts of terrorism.
I wonder who or what prompted this change, is this an attempt to wring more money out of the public?

Whilst I’m not denying others have suffered as a result of war and terror, for me the remembrance period is all about those who served. Let there be another period or periods for the others.

I won’t be wearing a poppy this year, or putting into the pot.

How do others feel.

It's better than the idea that was broached in Canada in the '90s where women's groups wanted Remembrance Day to also acknowledge the deaths of women at the hands of men.

But I agree that Remembrance Day should be about those who served, and they alone.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Interesting. Updated to represent the experiences of the modern generation I imagine.

I will be wearing a poppy, to respect those who have served and fallen in conflict, to grant me the freedom I currently enjoy.

Aye. With Dingerr.

Does the RBL “own” Remembrance Sunday and have the right to define its meaning? Surely it was started as a result consultation between government, the RBL and the established church?

Looks to me like (yet another) charity being hijacked by political correctness.

Interesting. Updated to represent the experiences of the modern generation I imagine.

More likely updated because veterans are dying off a lot faster than they are created and they want to A, Continue to justify the charity spending as much as it does and B, more people might contribute.

The_Duke

LE
It looks like an attempt to "make it relevant" to a wider audience. There is still a lingering issue of the RBL and remembrance being perceived to be about WW1 and 2, old men and women etc. As the TELIC and HERRICK press coverage fades into a distant memory, so will the interest in the more recent generation. Those of us closer to it may see it differently, but I doubt we are the target audience for the changes.

There is a clear link to the "London Poppy Day" work started over a decade ago - a few younger ex-servicemen wanted to show that RBL wasn't just for Grandad, and is now one of their largest contributors.

The RBL piece is very clear that remembrance is a personal topic, to be done as each person deems right. I don't see anything wrong with that, and certainly won't be cancelling my membership, donations or refusing to rattle the bucket at Cannon Street station on the 31st October for LPD. Others may have a different view, and that is theirs to have.

Similarly to the recent RNLI thread, there is a real danger of cutting off noses to spite faces here. In the case of the RNLI, people were happy to deny the 98p in the pound going to saving the "right type of people" in order to prevent 2p in the pound going to the "wrong sort".

In this case, people are considering reducing cash flow to ex-servicemen and their families because they are not happy that a few others are being caught up in the same event who are related but not exactly the same.

Mrsheeny

Old-Salt
It should be for those that have served and shouldn’t become another one of the establishments that bows to political correctness.

Maybe another day for the other events and keep remembrance Sunday traditional. What next? Remembering the dead terrorists and dead Nazis?

They haven't completely lost the plot as the lead statement is still remembering the Armed forces but I suppose as a business charity they have to expand to a younger public that has less connection with the Armed forces. I'll buy a poppy but don't donate a lot to the RBL anymore as I don't want my donation paying for a celebrities vol au vent at some charity function so for me it's SSAFA and RSBF (Royal Signal Benevolent fund) as we've got A.signaller and he needs all the help he can get.

War Hero
Why would we expect Remembrance (of the fallen) to remain undiluted in our all inclusive, gender uncertain, politically correct and entitled world.

Remembrance discriminates against those to whom ‘fallen in conflict‘ means little more than falling over in a school playground scuffle so it must be made fully inclusive. This is evidenced in the insidious year on year changes to the Festival of Remembrance. Expect it to continue unashamedly.

I agree with Dingerr but I’ll still buy and wear a poppy.

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.
They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.
But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;
As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

Laurence Binyon
published in The Times newspaper on 21 September 1914.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ll still buy a poppy in remembrance of those who served but I admit to not watching the awful programme put on by the BBC on Saturday evening.
I stopped watching that nauseating show when it became The X Factor with folk in uniform.

I’ll still buy my poppy and 2019 badge, but I will continue to give anyone attempting to sell me a white poppy a stiff ignoring!

It looks like an attempt to "make it relevant" to a wider audience. There is still a lingering issue of the RBL and remembrance being perceived to be about WW1 and 2, old men and women etc. As the TELIC and HERRICK press coverage fades into a distant memory, so will the interest in the more recent generation. Those of us closer to it may see it differently, but I doubt we are the target audience for the changes.

There is a clear link to the "London Poppy Day" work started over a decade ago - a few younger ex-servicemen wanted to show that RBL wasn't just for Grandad, and is now one of their largest contributors.

The RBL piece is very clear that remembrance is a personal topic, to be done as each person deems right. I don't see anything wrong with that, and certainly won't be cancelling my membership, donations or refusing to rattle the bucket at Cannon Street station on the 31st October for LPD. Others may have a different view, and that is theirs to have.

Similarly to the recent RNLI thread, there is a real danger of cutting off noses to spite faces here. In the case of the RNLI, people were happy to deny the 98p in the pound going to saving the "right type of people" in order to prevent 2p in the pound going to the "wrong sort".

In this case, people are considering reducing cash flow to ex-servicemen and their families because they are not happy that a few others are being caught up in the same event who are related but not exactly the same.
Agree with you on this.
For me I've always considered the Emergency services and civilian casualties as part of the Remembrance as also the families of those who fell or were injured.

..Similarly to the recent RNLI thread, there is a real danger of cutting off noses to spite faces here. In the case of the RNLI, people were happy to deny the 98p in the pound going to saving the "right type of people" in order to prevent 2p in the pound going to the "wrong sort"...
I'm afraid you are being disingenuous to the situation with the RNLI: The issue was not sending money abroad, but sending money abroad whilst making hundreds of people redundant in the UK.

But I suppose it's just easier to just label people racists!

I'm afraid you are being disingenuous to the situation with the RNLI: The issue was not sending money abroad, but sending money abroad whilst making hundreds of people redundant in the UK.

But I suppose it's just easier to just label people racists!
I am not going to white Knight The Duke but just where did he write 'racist' in his post?

Ritch

LE
I'll still buy a Poppy and donate as I do every year. To stop that isn't right.

I will wear a poppy, but as in other years I will not attend a parade.

Latest Threads