Remembrance 2006

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BoomShackerLacker, Nov 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As we spend this week in the spirit of Remembrance I felt it would be valuable to add resources here that are in keeping with this theme.

Web resources, images, poems and prose, that are dignified and help all those to understand the spirit of remembrance:

Remembrance

2. A good thought. Might I also take this opportunity to remember that the 11th hour of the 11th day falls on Saturday this year. Make it very clear that you are observing a minutes silence wherever you be on Saturday...pub, supermarket, library (erm..yes that might be difficult) or shopping mall.

3. It seems particularly poignant at this and subsequent Remembrance services to remember that we're losing the living connection with those who fought in WWI.

I think probably for those currently in their 30s and certainly 40s upwards WWI is burnt into our consciences as a war that affected our familes' lives beyond recognition. I am still staggered when I read the numbers of lives lost, even from small town memorials.

Last surviving members of WWI

4. Still the dark stain spreads between their shoulder blades,
    A mute reminder of the Poppy fields and graves,
    When the fight was over, we spent what they had made but...
    In the bottom of our hearts we felt the final cut.

We will remember them.

5. This and others from the BBC remembrance site

6. Something I put together a few years back. Hope you don't mind me reposting it here.

[​IMG]

7. Very moving site, nice to know some people still hold us in a very high regard it kind of makes it all worth while.

8. Well said BSL. I remember at Primary school back in the early 70's, our WW2 veteran headmaster inviting one of the many WW1 veterans we had living in our village at that time, to speak to us at assembly. Made a huge impression on me. Still feel deeply moved every time I pass a village war memorial.

However, lets not forget that we suffered our 121st loss in Iraq today. This along with the 41 we have lost in Afghanistan That will mean 162 families greiving for a loved one.

9. My youngest daughter made me SO proud today

Amongst her class, 5 years old, she was the ONLY child who knew what the poppy was for - the headmistress asked if anyone in the class knew, only one child put their hand up "its to remember all those who died in the war miss, my great grandad fought in Burma and my great uncle in the Falklands"

I know where she'll be on sunday!

10. My 3 teenagers will be wearing their suits and ties and poppies on Sunday. They know why their dad gets a bit sad sometimes

11. My 13 year old son who is in the ATC marced up to his CO and asked permision to lay the wreath on the rememberance parade.
    The CO aske him why and he replied "I would be humbled by the experence of remembering the heros of the past, It means a lot to me as I had many relatives die in the past wars and i just want to show my respect sir "
    need i say more
    I know where we will be on Sunday

12. Comment added fairmaid...

13. I am sorry to quote PM's from people, but I received this from Fairmaid in response to my comment on RP:

I replied:

That's all I have to say about that really.

14. that says it all