Remembering World War Two

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Apr 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Below is the current list of confirmed events in Scotland to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the end of the war.

• Confirmed Programme of Events – Scotland 2005

7 May Forfar VE- 60th Celebrations with Pipe Bands.
      8 May Scotland Services of Remembrance followed by Gardens of Remembrance.
      8 May Aberdeen VE Day Afternoon Tea.
      8 May Dundee Veterans Parade and Drumhead Service within St Andrews Cathedral, wreath laying Ceremony, Musical Tributes, Displays in the City and Community Events.
      8 May Kinloss Abbey Wreath laying ceremony – lead RAF Kinloss.
      8 May Elgin Parade in Cooper Park. Nimrod flypast Elgin and Inverness.
      14 May Perth VE-60th Celebrations with Parade, Service, Drumhead Service, Provosts coffee reception.
      21-22 May Falkirk VE/VJ Day Commemorative Celebrations. Drumhead parade on Sun 22nd May.
      21 May Millport Unveiling and Dedication of a Cairn War Memorial – Royal British Legion Scotland (Contact Chairman Millport Branch – 01475 531013).
      4-5 June Brechin Short Parade, Service and dinner at Brechin Castle.
      4-5 June Renfrew SSAFA (Renfrewshire) WWII Weekend. Tri service military show.
      5 June Melrose Abbey Service and Reception.
      11 June Ayr Royal British Legion Scotland Drumhead Service & Civic Reception within Ayr Town Hall.
      11 June Aberdeen Open Air Ecumenical Service/Military Parade.
      19 June Gourock The Forgotten Army.
      26 June Giffnock Ceremony followed by a party for WWII Veterans and home front personnel.
      10 July Edinburgh National WWII Commemoration Event – Parade, Service of Remembrance within St Giles Cathedral, Wreath laying Ceremony and Civic Reception for 300 invited WWII Veterans.
      10 July Aberdeen VE/VJ Day Parade and Service in the Castlegate.
      14 August Glasgow Royal British Legion Scotland Commemoration Parade, followed by a Service of Remembrance at George Square.
      14 August Glasgow Royal British Legion Scotland – Commemoration dinner for participants of the parade earlier in the day, followed by a Beating Retreat commencing at 6.30 pm within the Kelvinhall Sports Stadium.
      14 August Wick Drumhead Religious Service, Pipe Bands, and Nimrod flypast. Street Party.
      14 August Oban Royal British Legion Scotland (Oban Branch), will be holding a Commemoration Parade and Service at St John’s Cathedral commencing at 6.30 pm. (Contact R J McBrayne 01631 720561)
      15 August Aberdeen VJ Day Afternoon Tea within the Beach Ballroom Aberdeen.
      21 August Elgin TA Ceremony. Nimrod flypast.
      2/3/4 September Newcastleton Special dinner – 2 September. Parade of floats with a war time theme – 3 September. Family events and barbeque on Sunday September 4th Veterans involved
    SOURCE (Ministry of Defence - contains more info and links)

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

3. I hope to attend the 8th May Dundee Veterans Parade and Drumhead Service within St Andrews Cathedral, wreath laying Ceremony, Musical Tributes, Displays in the City and Community Events.

I plan to take my two young nephews with me and teach them about the war (as they dont get that in school nowadays :roll: )

Thanks Hackle

A_S

4. I hope that mr.Blair (after probable victory on the elections) would join to World's leaders in Moscow to celebrate Great Victory. I don't think that he is "evil" man (and btw mr.Bush too).

5. Yes, it would be fitting for the leaders of the allied nations to remember together.

6. Does anyone know whats going on in London?

7. Never a truer word...

8O :D

8. Nothing if that prat Livingstone has his way!