Rememberance Sunday Turnout...

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Squiggers, Nov 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay, i'm a Young Leader in a scout group, that's attached to a church (majority of scout units are, it's just to do with age).

Now, today, we had Remembrance Sunday - the idea is that the group turns out for it, we do a bit of flag moving, and hymns, yadda yadda, etc.

Overall, we have about.. 110 people in our group, of all ages.

We had 5 Beavers, out of 40 beavers

We had 2 Cubs, out of 32 Cubs

We had 0 Scouts out of 36 Scouts

No explorer scouts, as the unit was disbanded, due to some rather.. unsavoury actions by one of the leaders, and the other couldn't hack it after he returned from Afghanistan (Medic, having to see all the terrible stuff in the hospitals over there... not good).

So overall, thats 7, out of 110 people.

Disgusted? I sure as hell am. :(
  2. A quick lesson in the history of scouting is therefore required for them.

Boer war etc.

If you cannot acknowledge the history of an organisation to which you belong then you should not be a part of it IMO.

Edit: Fuck! Im being too sensible today...napalm the bastards!!!
  3. If you don't see the deep significance of today then don't expect them to. Set an example FFS.

4. I missed that. Agreed, entirely.
  5. Can I gloat then? Of 50 cadets, with two on doctor's orders not to march we had ...

FORTY EIGHT on parade this morning :D
  6. On parade at Norwich it looked like the entire Cadet Battery was there, even around 50 Sea Cadets and Sea Scouts turned up. With the Regs and the "Old Boys Club" I thought it was a good turn out.

Maybe you have a motivation problem from the heirarchy?
  7. Look, i perfectly understand the significance of today - without those who made the ultimate sacrifice, we wouldn't have many of the liberties today, whether we know it or not. Having lost members of the family in both WW's, i perfectly understand what it means Markin.

The parade that we did, was effectively that - a few hymns, bringing the flags up to the pulpit, the poem "The inquisitive mind of a child", and the section from "For the Fallen" read out, few more hymns, then take the flags back.

I didn't particularly have to, or want to, go into all of that did I? It's generally known what the service/parade consists of.
  8. Appears as much - one of the other Young Leaders has informed me that the Leader didn't tell them about the Parade, and he hardly ever does in regards to anything to do with the Church. Plus, he's heavily lefty, and threw a strop last time we tried to do any disipline, as he thought it was too "Militaristic".

When one of the leaders is ex-crab, and one of the YL's is joining the FAA, its to be expected isn't it..? :roll:

Still - we had a good turn out from other groups, such as the Old Boys, and parents turn up. The question i wonder is this: Why do the parents turn up, and why not the kids?
  9. To be honest is it really worth getting into a argument like this. It is not what today is about. Yes your right to be disappointed at the poor turnout, having been part of the guides and Girls brigade (in my younger days) we all hated having to march through the town but never for one minute was it because we couldn't be bothered or we didn't care.

Guys I know it is the naffi but come on put your energies towards something more useful on a day like today.

10. So lead them then. Inspire them that attending this parade in future is not a chore.
  11. My bold.
    What sort of piss poor excuse is that? I mean come on, does he really need to be told when the parade will be? I guess it would be much easier to plan for if say, oh, it was atthe same time, same place each year?
  12. Aye, i know. Piss-poor.

You'd think that the televised ceremony, the poppies being on sale, would be more than enough of a hint. :roll:
  13. likewise, out of a unit of 20 cadets, one dying of flu, and two with no uniform therefore unable to march in the parade, we had 18 on parade with the other two watching from the side.

never felt so proud of my unit :)
  14. Your post then:

Understand, significance, hymns, blah blah........

Have I done justice to your post?
  15. Now, perhaps I had it easier as a scout in the 60's, most of us had fairly close relatives who had fought and some who had died.
    Our scoutmaster got us all together and asked us all what Remembrance Sunday meant to us. No one really had much to say so he took us down to the local war memorial and showed us the names. He told us to look out for our own surname or perhaps the surname of a neighbour or friend or someone else we knew. There were several their with my surname but I knew that none of them where my relatives: My father was Irish and had served in WW2 my uncle Harry Harry also served. Their Dad did not serve as he was, at that time involved in the ship building industry.
    Although I was born and grew up in London, my parents were from Merseyside. I asked my Mum about her Dad. It turned out he was a stretcher bearer with his mates in the Lever Bros Brass Band, he was gassed and never really recovered, he died before i was born. He was one of 8 children, they lost 3 brothers in WW1. My Dad lost 5 uncles to the first world war.
    My scoutmaster made me investigate my past, he brought home to every one of us that the names on the war memorial were all around us, they were real people whose families still lived in the area.
    It doesn't matter that today's scouts will have members from different ethnic origins, it may be they'll have relatives who fought as part of the Empire's Forces. Even if they don't have immediate links to the names on a war memorial tell them of local heroes, men who have won the Victoria Cross or MC, MM, DFC there will be no end of local people who have been decorated, bring it home to them. Point out that if this was 1914 then more than 2/3rds of the young men in their classrooms, youth clubs, scout troops will be dead in 4 years time.
    Divide the names on the war memorial by the number of cadets and give them each a piece of paper with the names of the fallen, make it personal, show them how much you respect those who have fallen and they will be inspired to attend and probably bloody proud to be there. How your cadets perform is down to you, lead them, inspire them, there are millions of dead who deserve to be remembered and who deserve the right for you to give it maximum effort.
    You're not glorifying war, you are glorifying the young men who traded their future for generations that follow; their courage, their stories and their death echoes through history, stand tall, be proud and inspire a new generation, you owe it to them.

IN ARDUIS FIDELIS - In adversity faithful